• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I, Jackass

bgcntry72

NAXJA Forum User
I was taking off my t-case drop in preparation for the SYE, and I spun one of the nutcerts loose inside the unibody with my impact wrench. The boly is in the nut, but it spins freely. Short of using a hole saw on the unibody to get a wrench on it, or drilling a new hole and using a bumper bolt, does anyone have a suggestion? TIA
:anon:

BFH and knock it in. It will rattle out sooner or later

The nutcert is aluminum,and should give with a little force.

Thats what I was thinking, a hole saw to get a wrench on that bolt. What size did you use, Ted? Also, what did you use to cover the bare metal when you were through. I am installing my SYE this weekend and will go at it then.

we left the holes open..... Actually this was done on a friends rig the day we left for Moab 2001...

Might have been 1.25" i'll have to check when i get home today.

Cut the Unibody!

Just pull in the bolt really hard with a prybar or something make sure at least a part of the nutsert is in the hole and use a quick low voltage tack weld. If its aluminum, put a slide hammer on the bolt and wack away it will come out. Just need to know if its metal or alluminum.:bunny:

1.25" hole saw on the back side is what I did. You can use a plug from Home Depot, something like the ones in the floor of wranglers just smaller to cover the hole. Because as we all know, if it happens once, it will happen again. Did the samething on the driver side leaf spring, twice.

I'd think you would be best to go in through the floor, rather than the side of that frame rail. You could get a socket on it from above, or pull it out and drop in a new bolt, then weld it to the frame. Structurally, I would rather drop in a carrage bolt with a plate than weld to the frame, but it could be welded with good results as well. With the hole inside the vehicle you stand to have fewer problems with water causing more damage.

One of these will happen over the weekend.
1. 1.5" hole saw drilled in side and put a box wrench on it.
2. Drilling a new hole in the xmember and using a self threader from the front bumper.

Back