• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DD Locker Comparison

gmanxj

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to install a locker very soon. I think that I've narrowed it down between the lock-rite and no-slip. I DO know the major differences between the two. I am wondering what the reliability is between them. I have heard from many people, that a no-slip will have to be rebuilt every few years. Is that true with the lock-rite also?

I would like to hear how everyone likes either of them. Yes, this is a DD!

i ahve a no slip in the rear and a lock right up front. performance offroad there both great. the no slip in the rear is very liveable on road, not bad at all. just took a little while to learn not to give it much gas in turns. a buddy of mine HAD a lock right in his rear 44 and he hated it so much he took it out. dont know if it was just his personal preference or if it was really that bad. i have an 8.25 29spln so there wasnt much choice for me. the no slip is suppose to be better behaved, it is well behaved but i have nothing else to compare it to

edit: oh yeah mine is a dd too

I have the auburn pro in my 98's 8.25, excellent, quiet, have to watch gassing it in turns as mentioned or gassing it and THEN turning like at gravel and sandy intersections, it has a real strong tendency to go straight which can be hazardous for mailboxes :D. If it does go at some point in the future I may try a full out mechanical locker but for now the auburn is a nice mod. I'll be regearing in another couple of weeks so when it comes out we'll take a look at it to see if there is any wear on it. It probably has about 30-40K on it now, did it last april or so.

I have No-Slips front and rear on my DD with no problems. Minor idiosyncrasies, but well-worth it when you get off-road.

I bought several extra spring sets in case I need to rebuild them. Luckily, the D30 and 8.25 use the same spring kit.

ShipleyCSA said:
I got the Lockrite in the D30, love it! nothing noticable on-road(obviously bc its not in 4x4) and badass off road.
I want to get a limited slip, no-slip kind of rearend sometime soon.
not sure waht you meant but the no slip is not a limited slip, its a locker

The No-slip is my first choice, but I keep getting opinions from 4x4 shops telling me to seriously consider a lock-rite over the no-slip bc of the rebuild situation. Have any of you with the no-slips had to replace the springs yet?

gmanxj said:
The No-slip is my first choice, but I keep getting opinions from 4x4 shops telling me to seriously consider a lock-rite over the no-slip bc of the rebuild situation. Have any of you with the no-slips had to replace the springs yet?
Ryan (rawbrown) says he's seen more than a few that need the springs replaced, and recommends doing it yearly. I have mine in the front axle w/manual hubs, so I doubt it'll need it for a few years anyway.

Almost 5 years on my 8.25" w/ no problems!

RCP Phx- I'm assuming that you mean you're running the no-slip. Is that a 29 or 27 spline axel? And what size tires? THX!

From what I've heard the No-Slip behaves much better then the Lock Rite on the road. I have had a No-Slip in my 8.25 for over a year now and it has been great. I plan on putting one up front (I have Warn hubs). Never ran a Lock Rite so I don't have any first had experience between the two.

The rebuild for the No-Slip only involves replacing the springs which isn't hard and doesn't take very long. I wouldn't factor it into your equation on whether to run the locker or not. How it behaves in your DD is much more important then whether you spend a couple of hours once a year to replace the springs.

Just my .02 cents.

Brian T.

I have a lockrite in the rear and and don't mind it at all, but I'm swithing to a no-slip in the new axle. After a few days of driving you'll figure out what not to do while driving with a locker and then it will become invisible (to an extent) to you. I don't drive around town thinking about how my rear axle is going to react, you just adjust your driving style and its no big deal.

Go for a no-slip rear. I've run it for 1,5 years now, no problems, and I am never i mean NEVER going back to an open diff, l/s or whatever... not even an ARB or similar. (But know that if you have a manual transmission it will behave a lot worse I believe, I have automatic)

In the front however, I have an aussie locker. I say front locker is a no-go for a road driven rig unless you have a vacuum disconnect front axle or free wheel hubs. Because once you brake hard and lock one wheel (or at slippery roads) your locker goes BANG and you wonder if the front axle fell off... and you will lift the brake and get all confused in a panic situation, this is not safe... and I don't think this will be better w/ a no-slip, any autolocker has to lock up when stopping one wheel and your driveshaft wants to keep spinning.

OK....
next question is, where is the cheapest to get a no-slip? The cheapest that I've found is RRO and they sell it for $360.

gmanxj said:
OK....
next question is, where is the cheapest to get a no-slip? The cheapest that I've found is RRO and they sell it for $360.
when i was searching that was the cheapest i found out. check out the vendors section on here. i think i saw someone tha might have been cheaper

i just stumbled across this site....this is great, xj experts!!! i'm also thinking of no-slip lockers, i have a 2001 sport, with a dana 35c rear. do they fit mine or do i need a 8.25??
thanks,

NORM

really easy to install. i did it in about an hour and it just slid right in with ease too. just make sure you line it up right. helpful tip i wish i had known is to put it together on a bench then mark it with something. so when you put it in all you have to worry about lining up is the marks on hte outside

Amund2 said:
I say front locker is a no-go for a road driven rig unless you have a vacuum disconnect front axle or free wheel hubs. Because once you brake hard and lock one wheel (or at slippery roads) your locker goes BANG and you wonder if the front axle fell off... and you will lift the brake and get all confused in a panic situation, this is not safe... and I don't think this will be better w/ a no-slip, any autolocker has to lock up when stopping one wheel and your driveshaft wants to keep spinning.

I don't follow you.

No-Slips and the like rely on input torque. Maybe the scenario you describe can happen, but it doesn't sound likely.

I've run a No-Slip/Powertrax combo for months with zero problems, or bad manners on a DD. Also noteworthy is the lack of noise, they have been very quiet.

Just converted to a Detriot in front, no problems there either.

--ron

PS: True, the rear is a great home/minimum skill project.

Back