• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power window question

Davelsj

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 96 XJ Sport. None of the power windows work. I figure the first thing to try after reading here is a short. I was pulling out the carpet anyway. I checked the wires and they are all in good shape. I was given a wiring diagram of the power windows (don't have an owners manual or service manual yet) and it has a circuit breaker/relay shown. I went to Autozone and purchased the relay. Got it home and see nothing in the fuse panel under dash or under hood like the one I bought nor do I see any empty sockets that it will fit into. Any ideas??

Thanks

First thing I would do is throw a vtvm on the switches and see if you are getting power to them, then go from there. All 4 failing at once is probably something common. Does anything else NOT work besides the windows ?

Davelsj said:
it was broken wires in the rubber boot between the door and kick panel. Spliced them, problem fixed!

Thanks

Thats only temporary, they split for a reason and the reason is wear from the door opening and closing. You might want to consider replacing the wires with new wire in that area.

Back