• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Start From Scratch; What Would You Do/not Do??

BIG-G

NAXJA Forum User
If you had your XJ back to stock and could start from scratch; what exactly would you do different this time around and why?? From choice of suspention/steering kits to home made fabrication to piece by piece build ups.
Whatever it is that you would want better on your XJ and why you would go that rought and all opinions on the kits and reasons for that choice; spill the beans here........(got ur XJ dialed just perfect; what did u do to get it there?)

Last edited:
I would do nothing different. My XJ is perfect. :moon:

I just purchased mine, and the first mod was Sirius/HU/4 3 ways.

Next is two front tow hooks and a front skid.

You want a cost no object dream sheet or a realistic, from our budget, point of view.

I can afford 4.5, SYE/CV, 32s on 15 X8s, 4.56s, and a rear locker for now. Then in another month will do rails, skids and exaust, etc. Then in another month or two front bumper, winch and rear bumper (maybe 3 months). So in no certian order that's what I'd do from scratch......

Cost no object? Eh, forget that, it'd no longer be an XJ. It'd be like those things on the covers of magazines, trailered out to the woods behind a 60K dualy with an equally high maintenance chick in the front seat.... You know, cost no object and all.. :p

I guess this thread will be based on a fixed budjet (or your budjet), cause if i said no $$ limit, we'd all have 20 foot tires & lifts, 2000 horses and just run over everything we see!

well to start i would NOT by a complete kit.(i like having the control over what i put in my XJ) and it depends on whatyou want.
BUT i would have got

6'' leaf stacks instead of add a leaf kit.

i like my drop down brackets in the front made by trail master also longer control arms makes it easy for 6-7'' in the front.

Wheels and tires are a big $ item, easily $1000 so you have to figure that in.

also the new RE sway bar discos are SWEET.

i love my D44 but if i were to do some serious wheeling/bouldering i would have gone to a D60 and a D44 in front.

i LOVE my bushwackers and they are a must if you ask me.

just my .02 $ so good luck

dave

p.s. maybe you could tell us what you are thinking about doing and we could comment on what you are thinking and about and give you suggestions from there. kind of hard to just dream up a machine without parameters.

OK, I guess I'll pee in the pool... :laugh3:
If I had "do-overs", I'd leave my XJ at 31s, virgin fenders, 4:10s, and 3.5" lift. Then I'd put the OTHER small fortune I've spent into a SWB or an early Bronco trail rig.
I'm not at all unhappy with how mine's turned out, but I WOULD do it differently next time. :wave:

I would start over with this

dscn09224jg.jpg

:sunshine:

After doing the XJ buggy, i gotstha itchin for tha real thang.

Matt

Id start w/ my 88MJ and slap a springover on the rear, 6'' coils upfront(longarm of course), 33'' trxus, D44 front and rear, arb front and rear, exocage, stroker now im just dreamin

well for I probably would have gotten a toyota and did an axle swap. :)

but if I had to do the xj again I would do the following differently.

1. bought an older xj. This would allow more $$ to build.
2. start with the bushwacker flares instead of going the tj flare rout. the tj flares are pretty nice, but bushwackers painted body colour are just killer.
3. start the build by putting on rocker guards/frame stiffeners first.
4. start with good bumpers front and rear.

as far as suspension if I was to keep the stock design I think that the RE 5.5 kit hardware with 4.5 inch springs. keep the lift low, but get the drop brackets and associated hardware. I pieced my suspension togethere, you will probably put more $$ in that way. I think some of teh kits outhere are definately a good deal.

Same as I already did; each step has been too well thought out. However, if money were no object I would have skipped the 2" Budget Boost and gone straight into the 4.5" (modified) RE that I now have.

I would have definitely skipped the used gears and stoner installer though and done that right the first time. Would have skipped the RE driveshaft too...both have been sources of much frustration and expense.

Currently the only thing I would change to my DD is to run 33's instead of the 32's I have. The DPG 5" is just the amount of lift I wanted. After my locker and gear install is complete it should be capable of handling/surviving what I will subject it to. I wouldn't mind having Dynatrac D44's front and rear with Detroit Electracs(already priced them out - ~$8500), but thats never going to happen.

I would love to have the money to do another XJ. It would be street legal, but just barely. It would have longarms with coilovers both front and rear. Engine would be a 4.6L stroker(try to keep something Jeep in it), 700R4, and an Atlas II driving ProRock 60's which in turn will move 37" Krawlers.

Greg

I probably would have stayed at 3"/31's and spent the money on armor and axles. I honestly just don't get out wheeling enough to justify all of the extra money, headaches and parts I've been through.

But I do LOVE my current setup.....Just Empty Every Pocket

John

I wouldent have bought my XJ and just used to the money to keep on building the YJ.... :D

BUT If I still had the good ol XJ, I would have gone with D44's front and rear, 34x10.5 LTB's, FullTraction long-arm, 4 link rear, Bilstine coil overs and a few changes to my exo and internal cage.

Back