• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 9"

RobCherokeeXJ89

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, i'm running a 4" lift 32" tires d30 front d35 rear open diffs 4.11's, i've been looking at d44's and 8.8's for the rear, but haven't gotten too much info on the ford 9".

A guy around town is selling his Ford 9" and it has 4.11's, Positive and rear disc, and has an auburn posi. Tell me what you guys think and what do you think would be a good amount to pay for it?

that depends alot on which 9". EB's are 58" wide (darn close to the same as your XJ) some torino's came with them, as did some Mark IV cars (a few even had the coveted disc brakes). they should also be near the 60" width territory. The early mustang guys are snagging them up, so you have to be on the lookout to find a good one. as for the big vs small bearing 9", the bearings in the case must be larger, 3.25" which means you need to upgrade to a nodular after market 3rd. nodulars were available from for in very few applications but they were small bearing (carrier bearing that is), single rib, and nearly impossible to find any way. lincolns were about 64", were the more desirable housings (strength wise) but most were 28 spline, some ever had 9.75s which are very cool but have a limited after market. banjo housings are not known for their stoutness, I would look for a car rear and upgrade the shafts and 3rd member. Well actually thats not what I would do but, you know.

figure out what vehicle the axle came out of, if the shafts are 28 or 31 spline. it may be a bit wider than your frontend, the bolt pattern might be 5x5.5 that wont match your d30, and its a low pinion. otherwise its a popular axle with tons of aftermarket goodies. the nine inch i got out of a 79 bronco bolted right up and has worked well for me. goodluck

Back