• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case in a durango?

renegade_z71

NAXJA Forum User
i have a friend that has a dodge durango that is in need of a transfer case and to my suprise i have found that it has either a 242 or a 231. but i am un able to look at the vehicle right now. what is the difference between the two transfer cases if any one knows?

the NP242 has the full time 4wd and the NP231 is a part time 4wd t-case only. They also use different front drive shafts, not sure what they are called but im sure someone else here does.

H.O.Cherokee said:
the NP242 has the full time 4wd and the NP231 is a part time 4wd t-case only. They also use different front drive shafts, not sure what they are called but im sure someone else here does.

My 97 Durango has a 231HD. It has a wide chain and sprockets. I think the input shaft is different but should be changable. I have used the HD chain and sprockets in standard 231s and they interchange fine.

a buddy has this durango and is wanting to get either a new tcase or rebuild it. i think i may have found one for about 450 bucks so hopefully that will work if not ill get to tear it apart and see what is different

Back