• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

helpful rear defroster relay info here

19cherokee92

NAXJA Forum User
finally went to the yard and figured some things out on the different rear defroster configurations on 1st gen XJs

i found 3 different setups (ina jeep??? go figure!)

older style around 88:
defroster switch has 4 connections
switch goes up for on and down for off
relay in rear hatch

my style 1992:
pink plug to left of steering column IS the rear defroster plug location
switch has 3 connections - C double black ground, B 12V black/red, D blue/white to relay?
switch only goes up to activate smart relay
red plug to right of the steering column behind knee blocker is smart relay location - sets all by itself mounted to bottom of dash and other black relays sit together in a little holder with a metal brace that is attached to the knee blocker
only wires in hatch

newer style 1994-1996?:
same as in 1992 except smart relay is grouped with some other unknown relays in a little tray behind the knee blocker (a blue one, the red smart relay and some smaller black ones on this particular XJ)

i put a regular relay into the red plug to the right of the column and my rear defroster switch had power and the defroster grid had voltage but it stayed on all of the time (not good) so I went to the jeep dealer by me and they quoted me $58 and some change for the rear defroster relay which is also known as a timer relay but the dealership computer does not list it as such. the relay itself has a little white label on it that says "smart relay." Its probably alot smarted than me...

i went to the pick and pull and got the smart relay, an intermittent wiper box deal, an extra plug for the defroster switch and the light buld holder that illuminates the rear defroster logo all for 5 dollars and 50 cents. sweet

used the red smart relay from a 95 i think (relay was grouped in the tray with some other relays and the XJ had R132 and the newer high bucket seats) and it works great in my 92 setup.

hopefully this will help somebody out when searching for info on NAXJA

links to my other defroster posts on NAXJA

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=47467&highlight=rear+defroster

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43950&highlight=rear+defroster

Thanks for the post i'll try it. Could'nt figgure why i had no pwr when i swapped parts.

Back