• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35-8.25 swap, Driveshaft length?

Overdriven

NAXJA Member #1020
I have a 8.25 w/ 4.10s that I'm swapping in place of my D35 non c-clip with 3.55's. Will I need to swap driveshafts or can I keep running the one I have.

The 8.25 is out of a 2wd XJ so I can't use it's driveshaft. I'll be running 31's and 3.5 inches of lift. Anything else to consider.

91 Jeep Project said:
Don't mind Justin, he has issues with commitment............. :laugh3:
Hey, I made the same swaps in mine. Dana 35 to 29-spline 8.25 to Dana 44.

TEXJ said:
I have a 8.25 w/ 4.10s that I'm swapping in place of my D35 non c-clip with 3.55's. Will I need to swap driveshafts or can I keep running the one I have.

The 8.25 is out of a 2wd XJ so I can't use it's driveshaft. I'll be running 31's and 3.5 inches of lift. Anything else to consider.

This may sound stupid. But do not run it in 4x4 until you make the gears in the front and back match again!!

Probably obviouse but would rather make the comment.

Michael

BillR said:
Hey, I made the same swaps in mine. Dana 35 to 29-spline 8.25 to Dana 44.

See im not the only one who is afraid of commentment.....funny my wife use to tell me the same thing....except in my jeeps case, she says buying parts for me is like giving my girlfriend a present..

2xtreme said:
This may sound stupid. But do not run it in 4x4 until you make the gears in the front and back match again!!

Probably obviouse but would rather make the comment.

Michael

no big deal... just put doughnut spares on the front... go for that "Hotwheels" look!

FWIW, the D35 with automatic takes a driveshaft 5/8" longer than a Chrysler 8.25 with automatic. This means that at stock height, swapping in an 8.25 would require that you shorten the drive shaft to avoid the possibility of damage to the transfer case.

Lifting at the same time you swap the axles cancels this out. I know the exact dimension because a friend with an 8.25 axle lifted his (father's) XJ and had the drive shaft fall out on the maiden voyage. We laid his drivehaft next to the one out of my 87 parts heap, which has a D35. The 87 drive shaft was 5/8" longer, so that's what he installed and all was good.

I think doing the swap and a 3" lift at the same time you'll be good to go.

Trust me, I plan on doing both ends at the same time. I've had the gears and install kit for the front for a month now. I'm just waiting on the money to come through for the install. The rear swap will follow as soon as I get home from the front install.

With some of the comments and questions I see on this board though your warning was warranted. I could see somebody doing that.
Later.

Eagle said:
FWIW, the D35 with automatic takes a driveshaft 5/8" longer than a Chrysler 8.25 with automatic. This means that at stock height, swapping in an 8.25 would require that you shorten the drive shaft to avoid the possibility of damage to the transfer case.

Lifting at the same time you swap the axles cancels this out. I know the exact dimension because a friend with an 8.25 axle lifted his (father's) XJ and had the drive shaft fall out on the maiden voyage. We laid his drivehaft next to the one out of my 87 parts heap, which has a D35. The 87 drive shaft was 5/8" longer, so that's what he installed and all was good.

I think doing the swap and a 3" lift at the same time you'll be good to go.

Gotta love the search feature.

This is what I have planned for my wifes '89. D-35 is under the Jeep now, 3 inch lift springs are behind the garage and newly painted 8.25 is in the side yard.

I have the 242 transfer case, does the T.C. type change anything when doing the swap?

Thanks, Mike

Back