• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I get new LCA's for a 3" lift?

jdbwrx

NAXJA Forum User
I'm still trying to sort out a few things before ordering my 3" lift, and am wondering if I need to look at getting new lower control arms. Some kits I see come with them, and some don't. Will the stockers work OK?

If anyone can fill me in on this issue I would appreciate it.

The first lift I purchased was the Skyjacker 3". If I remember correctly, the control arms that came with it were only 3/16" longer than stock.

What kits are you looking at?

I'm pretty sure that I am going to get the Rusty's, but was also considering the Black Diamond. The Black Diamond kit comes with new arms and is the same price ($375) as the Rusty's once you add the LCA's ($245 lift + $130 arms).

Can anyone help me understand more on what they do.

I first put on a 3 inch BDS lift with stock arms, drop pitman arm and a trac bar relocation bracet. I was getting weird bumpsteer and a harsh ride up front but nothing too bad, but it still bugged me so I ordered BDS's LCA's and a Pro Comp tracbar the arms from BDS are beefy and come with the same lifetime warrenty and the Procomp tracbar is pretty beefy too. Now after installing these to items I have now bumpsteer and it rides alot better. I hope it helps

just bought the black mountain kit for $250 shipped to my door, plus the lca's for $100 shipped from BM also. collins bros on ebay sels the kits.maybe this might save ya a couple bux. but id go with rustys kit if i were you.

I would definately get lowers.... I didn't and I now *have* to.... one of my factory lowers is all bent to crap.

you can get roughcountry lca's for around 65 from rockymountainsusp.com in the xj section. I would go for the rustys adjustable lca's for around 160.... I like them because they use factory style bushings, but they are wristed ( no locknut to make them completely ridgid) so the bushings should last a nice long time.

just my $.02

I have been running stock lowers for a year now with several trips to the Uwharrie Trails here in NC, and have not had 1 problem I even run the tough trails, and they have not gave in to the punishment(yet). I do recomend lowers though I just havent got them yet.

after about a year and a half with stock lower control arms you will be kicking yourself for having not gotten them. My passenger side lca is bent and when I brake hard on the freeway she steers right. Not to mention the bone jarring ride. I am looking to get new control arms now.

ok, the question is " Should I get new LCA's for a 3" lift? " the answer is yes. do you need new LCA's? no. but if you have the ability to do it right the first time, and it will do nothing but help, why not????? just my dime.
Troy

steagall9301 said:
ok, the question is " Should I get new LCA's for a 3" lift? " the answer is yes. do you need new LCA's? no. but if you have the ability to do it right the first time, and it will do nothing but help, why not????? just my dime.
Troy

I NEEDED new LCAs for my 3.25" lift. I had this nasty wobble between 55-70 mph. Tried new tires, new shocks, everythign was tight but the wobble was still there. Replaced the LCAs with RE adjustable and the wobble stopped, even though the caster angle never changed. Its been several thousand miles and a different set of tires and it hasn't returned yet.

-Chris

well as i have heard all over this forum all XJ's are different and i have seen 6.5" w/stock LCA's ( rough ride ) and no death wobble some vibes too but not bad, and i have heard about situations like yours. over all you would not NEED new LCA's is all i am saying, but like i said " do it right the first time if you can. JMHO, take it for what its worth.

Troy

Back