• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Using factory switches

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I'm adding a set of fog lights to my 96 XJ, and I want to use the factory fog light switch & bezel that I've acquired. On the switch, there are three tabs. I assume they are power, ground, and accessory. What I want to know is which is which?

Also what is needed to get the indicator light bulb to work as well?

Thanks

well at least on the '97+ models, there is a relay involved, so i think other than the ground one wire fires the relay the other the switch illumination.

fwiw, i used a factory switch but my own relay (and didn't bother w/ the illumination).

I am going to use a relay. I just need to know which terminals on the switch do what. And how to hook the indicator light up.

Thanks

The third tab isn't accessory, it's ground for the pilot light in the switch.

I'm thousands of miles away from my FSM so I can't look up the pinout for you, but you have power in, power out, and ground. You should be able to check it with a multi-meter to figure out which is which. The pilot light takes power from the same 12v in that feeds throiugh the switch to the relay. All you need to make the pilot light work is 12 volts in, and ground.

By piilot light, do you mean the tiny light inside the switch itself? I'm talking about the indicator bulb, that would light up the fog light symbol behind the bezel. The plug has two wires for it, one I assume is ground, and the other I'm sure is power. They light up when you turn your dash lights on. Could I just splice this in with the one right next to it (illuminates the defroster symbol)?

According to my manual,
terminal "a"-circuit 99,#18 black(ground)
terminal "b"-circuit 77,#16 light green(to dimmer switch)
terminal "c"-circuit F5,#16 blue w/white tracer(to fog lamp relay)

I'm making my own harness, including a relay, just using the factory 3 prong switch. none of the prongs are labeled... and there are no more wires connected to the switch.

90Pioneer said:
I'm making my own harness, including a relay, just using the factory 3 prong switch. none of the prongs are labeled... and there are no more wires connected to the switch.

yep, that's what i did too...
just use a multimeter to check for continuity across the prongs in the switched positions to figure out what does what.

edit: i'll check to see if i made any notes at the time.

Back