• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 cables on AT shifter

2xtreme

NAXJA Forum User
When I pull up the plastic around my AT shift handle there are two cables that are attached to the shifter linkage (the big one on top and a smaller one on the bottom). What is the smaller one on the bottom for? It is not letting me shift into or out of Park when I have the car running. I will alow me to do it with the key in the first click (not running). I was considering removing the cable, any idea of other ways of fixing the problem?

TIA,
Michael

2xtreme said:
When I pull up the plastic around my AT shift handle there are two cables that are attached to the shifter linkage (the big one on top and a smaller one on the bottom). What is the smaller one on the bottom for? It is not letting me shift into or out of Park when I have the car running. I will alow me to do it with the key in the first click (not running). I was considering removing the cable, any idea of other ways of fixing the problem?

TIA,
Michael

The interlock cable is supposed to be adjustable. Here's the procedure from the 95 FSM, which I hope is similar to the earlier ones. On the 95, it's the left hand one of the two, and is adjustable at the shifter end, whereas the shift cable is not:

1- Shift into park

2- turn ignition to lock position

3- open up the console, lift bezel, etc. to get access to cable

4 - pull cable lock button up to release cable. (sorry, can't include illustration, but it wasnt a very good one anyway, so you'll have to figure that one out).

5 - Pull cable forward. Then release cable and press cable lock button down until it snaps in place.

6- Check adjustment as follows: a) check movement of release shift handle button. You should naot be able to press button inward. b) turn ignition switch to On position. c) press lever release button, then shift into neutral. If adjustment is correct, ignition switch cannot be turned to Lock position. Perform same check with transmission in D range.

7 - Move shift lever back to Park and check ignition switch operation. You should be able to turn switch to lock position, and lever release button/lever should not move.

Some XJ's were recalled and had a brake pedal interlock installed, so you must push brake before it will shift out of park - I don't know whether yours does, but wonder if that could also be a source of trouble.

Matthew Currie said:
The interlock cable is supposed to be adjustable. Here's the procedure from the 95 FSM, which I hope is similar to the earlier ones. On the 95, it's the left hand one of the two, and is adjustable at the shifter end, whereas the shift cable is not:

1- Shift into park

2- turn ignition to lock position

3- open up the console, lift bezel, etc. to get access to cable

4 - pull cable lock button up to release cable. (sorry, can't include illustration, but it wasnt a very good one anyway, so you'll have to figure that one out).

5 - Pull cable forward. Then release cable and press cable lock button down until it snaps in place.

6- Check adjustment as follows: a) check movement of release shift handle button. You should naot be able to press button inward. b) turn ignition switch to On position. c) press lever release button, then shift into neutral. If adjustment is correct, ignition switch cannot be turned to Lock position. Perform same check with transmission in D range.

7 - Move shift lever back to Park and check ignition switch operation. You should be able to turn switch to lock position, and lever release button/lever should not move.

Some XJ's were recalled and had a brake pedal interlock installed, so you must push brake before it will shift out of park - I don't know whether yours does, but wonder if that could also be a source of trouble.

Thanks for the info. I will try that and see where it gets me. I believe that I do have the break pedal interlock also and I know that I do have to be on the break to make it work. I will try adjusting it. If not, it is just going to get disconnected and see how that works also.

Thanks again,
Michael

In case you're still fooling with this, I just fixed my '89 last week. In my case, one of the two wires came loose from the electric switch down on the brake pedal. Couldn't shift from park while running at all.

Every day it seemed I would have to push further down on the brake to get out of park, which misled me to think something needed adjustment. Finally it just stopped working. As soon as I found the loose wire and got it connected back to the spade inside the plug, all was good.

Hope that helps.

JimC said:
In case you're still fooling with this, I just fixed my '89 last week. In my case, one of the two wires came loose from the electric switch down on the brake pedal. Couldn't shift from park while running at all.

JimC

Thanks to your note, here, I figured out a connector had worked loose from the brake switch, causing my shifter to stick in Park like yours was. Been bugging me for too long. Everything's good, now!

Thanks!

Phred.

'90 XJ, stock.

Back