• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What did you pay for your HP44

wannabe

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ is a 99 with RE 7.5's, 35's, 4.88's and a ARB'd XJ 44. I got away with stock steering for a few months but not any more. Seriously thinking about just doing a HP44 before dumping cash into the D30. Just wanting to get a real idea on what it would cost for a "bolt in" xj width 44. Thankx for any help.

I don't know of any bolt-in HP44s for XJs unless you go with a custom axle from Currie or Dynatrac.
Most of us that run HP44s have built them.

I know that there are no bolt in 44's except the rubi. I was definetly planning on building or having one built. I was just curious as to roughly what it cost. Thankx

wannabe said:
My XJ is a 99 with RE 7.5's, 35's, 4.88's and a ARB'd XJ 44. I got away with stock steering for a few months but not any more. Seriously thinking about just doing a HP44 before dumping cash into the D30. Just wanting to get a real idea on what it would cost for a "bolt in" xj width 44. Thankx for any help.

i'd say.... $2200 with gears, lockers and disk. nah i don't know. i'm still working on mine. BTW what rear axle do ya have on that 99?

brandon

wannabe said:
I know that there are no bolt in 44's except the rubi. I was definetly planning on building or having one built. I was just curious as to roughly what it cost. Thankx
I have roughly $2400 in mine, if that helps. I reused a locker I had in the rear, so that worked out well. I also did all the welding and cutting down myself.
HTH :wave:

wannabe said:

Used dynatrac HP44 w/ 4.88s and detroit - $2000

Ive got a XJ D44 with 4.88's and an ARB. Thats a problem too because if I do a HP44 I have to do something about lug patterns and I already have a ton of cash into the XJ 44.

wannabe said:
Ive got a XJ D44 with 4.88's and an ARB. Thats a problem too because if I do a HP44 I have to do something about lug patterns and I already have a ton of cash into the XJ 44.

Get some Superior alloy shafts that are 5 on 5.5 and sell your stock shafts.
That's what I did.

if the cost of mounting and balancing is a burdon, a 44 front just might not be in your future yet. i know it wont be in mine for a while

FYI: for a custom built, bolt-in HP D44 front from Currie/Dynatrac/etc plan to shell out $4,200+ by the time you add gears, ARB, high-steer, Premium hubs, alloy shafts, etc. And plan to wait 5-6 weeks or more to get it.

And you're still 'stuck' with an axle that uses the same u-joints as your D30. If you can't build it yourself, either stick with the D30 or get a D60 front. IMHO it's a complete waste to drop $4,000+ on a custom front end that still has 297x u-joints... I know, I did it, and mine wasn't even HP... :rolleyes:

wannabe said:

Superior shafts drilled for 5x4.5 and 5x5.5 run about 300 a set.

$175 for a 72' hp 44, roughly $450 in gears, install kit, and spool, $180 for an 8 lug 10 bolt, $100 for steering arms, $60 in steel. assuming you already have the tools and know how there ya go. Otherwise figure in labor, or tools.

Paid $210 for the complete front axle out of a '77 Ford F-150. $540 for new gears, install kit, Yukon Chromoly shafts (inners and stubs) and a new carrier for my Aussie Locker. $300 for RE's bracket kit (ya, I could have made my own - but I want to have this thing done before summer and that's how long it'd take me to make my own brackets.). Next on the list is the steering linkages (approx. $300), rear axle shafts (approx. $300), gear set-up cost (approx. $150), front driveshaft (approx. $200), and all new ball joints, hubs, brake calipers, rotors, and bearings. I'm shortening and welding the brackets on myself. If you plan on having it done professionally, add that cost in too.

It adds up.

If you're concerned about bolt patterns, mounting and balancing, etc. - you'll probably want to wait and continue on with the turdy until the funds allow for the D44.

Dynatrac HP D44 for bolt in to an XJ/TJ - $4,800 w/ a Detroit Electrac.
Currie HP 9" for an XJ/TJ - $2,800 w/ a Detroit.

The Currie unit only goes to the inner C and the carrier is a Ford 8.8. They reuse your stock brakes and knuckes, but there is a $500 core refund if you return your tubes with the axle brackets. I think you could do a Warn 5X5.5 conversion in conjuction with this axle. They do have a D60 outer upgrade, but that is $3,000 on its own.

Greg

Back