• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bulkhead Connector

soderlundbob

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 Loredo. In an effort to find out my low voltage issue's on guage and in cluster I researched and found some post concerning the bulkhead connector that is to the right og the brake booster; however, I do not have the 4mm bolts mentioned here, I have a strange large plastic clip going around two large wireling harness connectors on firewall. Does anybody know how to remove that clip so I can remove and clean connector connections?

I've raised this post from the dead becuase I have the same Jeep and the same question. Does anyone know how to unplug this connector without breaking the 17-year-old plastic?

A small flat screwdriver or a small flat bit of metal, a lot of patience, and maybe a prayer or two to the Mechanical Gods (don't cut yourself to sacrifice the blood they may want - if they want it, they'll get it. They're insulted if you sacrifice before they decide they want it...)

Also, there are some tools made for disconnecting things like that - I don't recall what they're called at the moment, but you should be able to find them either at a well-stocked local, or a well-stocked electronics supply house (don't bother with Radio Shack for this, tho...)

I have a 1990 Loredo. In an effort to find out my low voltage issue's on guage and in cluster I researched and found some post concerning the bulkhead connector that is to the right og the brake booster; however, I do not have the 4mm bolts mentioned here, I have a strange large plastic clip going around two large wireling harness connectors on firewall. Does anybody know how to remove that clip so I can remove and clean connector connections?

Here's someting you might want to consider:

Improving the Instrument Panel Ground
The ground point for the complete instrument cluster on your XJ or MJ is located up under the driver’s side dash. If you lay on your back and look up under there with a flashlight, without wearing a hat, you will see a black wire attached to a shiny piece of metal almost directly above the hood release knob. The screw will have either a ¼" or 5/16" head on it.
This ground point is responsible for handling the ground circuit for the following items: Dome lamps, Seatbelt and key warning, trans comfort switch, wiper switch, headlamp switch and delay module, fog lamp switch, cargo lamp switch, all instrument panel grounds and illumination, power windows and door locks, cruise control dump valve, and a few more things.
The problem is that where the ground point is located does not have a good contact with the chassis where the ground should be. The solution is simple.
Make up a jumper wire with #10 gauge wire about 10" long. On one end, crimp on a ¼" round wire terminal. On the other end, crimp on a 3/8" round wire terminal.
Remove the screw from the existing ground wire and attach the small terminal of your jumper so that the original wire and your new jumper share the same attaching point, one over the other.
Look above the driver’s side plastic kick panel just forward of the top of the hood release knob. You will see an 8mm stud there. Attach the large terminal end there with a washer and nut over it tightened securely.
**Special note for Comanche owners: Make your jumper wire 12" long and attach it on the driver’s side kick panel close to the fusebox on the 8mm stud.**

Revised 11-29-2011

Back