• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Found axles out of a 78 F-150!

mississippi_xj

NAXJA Forum User
A guy down south of me has a 44hp out of a 78 f-150. It is complete with steering, but no radius arms. He also has a housing for a 9 inch rear. The guys is asking $250 for the both.

I havn't been shoping for a front axle untill just now when I saw this. Is this a pretty good price for that axle?

I am wanting to swap it under the xj with radius arms. If I can go ahead and buy these I can build them, and the associated hardware to make them work in my truck over the next 12-18 months.

Also, does anyone know if the ford radius arms are generic? I meen can I just go and get any radius arm and bushings out of the salvage yard and bolt them on to this axle? If I can I will just scavange some frame side mounts, bushings, and radius arms out of the pick and pull here in a month or two.

I am kind of new to this ford stuff so bear with me. :wave:

Thanks guys.

You pay shipping and you can have my R. arms (77 f-150) (pm if you want em) But you may be able to get them from a S. yard for less. The R. arms mount to the axle is the same in the full sized Bronco as the trucks if I remember correctlly. So look for either.

Daryl

Yeah. I thought it was a pretty good deal. :)

Do these axles have manual hubs?

I do want to run radius arms for the antisway capebility and the fact that they are just rugged as hell.

Can you get death wobble with this design? I want to eliminate as much potential for dw as possible.

The plans include custom 3/16 flat belly pan and Radius Arm mounts. I am going to try to re-use my skyajacker track bar. and then work out steering as necessary.

I would highly suggest crossover or high-steer, which will mean Chevy/Waggy flat-top knuckles and small bearing spindles.

DW is unlikely

the arms aren't that beefy, plenty of guys have bent them, plating the length of the sides helps a lot.

should have manual hubs

I would like to use the bulletproof steering setup http://bulletproofsteering.com/steeringsystems.html . This is a budget thing so I am going to try to to it on the cheap, relatively speaking. :) That is ,of course, dependent on the condition of the parts on the axle.

I will probably end up plating the siedes on a set of arms. I think if I can actually get these things built I may just end up trying to get a set of used aluminum ford, or whatever, wheels and tires when the time comes. Hoping to run 35's

Which brings me to this question. Has anyone actually run 35's on full with axles and run bushwacker flares? I have tj flares now but I would like to clean it up a little, the bush wackers just look better to me. If I could run them I probably would.

Thanks Guys.

Back