• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 door rear windows

XJ_ranger

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
i have the 2 door with the solid windows, and would love to have openable windows for my rear passengers - and because they look freeken tight!

any idea what year 2door XJ's came with split back windows?

can the swap be made easily? or a ton of fabrication for a track and other stuff that wont fit in my current window opening...

Not sure what specific years but mine were a direct swap on my '90 so you shouldn't need to do any modifying.Got mine at the junk yard for $15.00/each.They were even the factory mirrored glass which was nice.Install wasn't too bad.Put the bottom in first then work your way around the window(we used a cotter pin puller tool and a flat blade screw driver to put mine in).If you know how to do the rope trick for installing windows then I would suggest that method over screw drivers,etc.Just take your time and be careful and patient so you dont break the glass.HTH
Jeff

Rope Method?

not much of an auto glass man -
What torque spec is that?

Rope Method? not much of an auto glass man -

I used the rope method when replacing the windshield in my MG. I'm not the best at describing things, but will give it a try. Jeeps may be a bit different, but the concept should be the same.

What I did was to install the seal on the glass, then place a length of rope inside the channel of the rubber seal (the part that will seal to the Jeep body), then place the window in the Jeep. Pull the rope at about 90 degrees from the glass, and it should pull the rubber seal over the frame and seat it.

Hope tis helps,

Copperhead

I don't know all the years and stuff, but my 96 Sport 2 door has the little windows if that helps.

copperhead said:
I used the rope method when replacing the windshield in my MG. I'm not the best at describing things, but will give it a try. Jeeps may be a bit different, but the concept should be the same.

What I did was to install the seal on the glass, then place a length of rope inside the channel of the rubber seal (the part that will seal to the Jeep body), then place the window in the Jeep. Pull the rope at about 90 degrees from the glass, and it should pull the rubber seal over the frame and seat it.

Hope tis helps,

Copperhead

I used 10ga wire when I did this... it worked GREAT on my rear window!
Billy

PS - Make your wires end in a corner if possible.

not to hijack this thread, but i got a 2 door and thought bout replacing the 2 back windows with some what thick sheet metal to do away with the windows, less to break. has anyone every seen this?

If you have trouble finding some Ive got a full set with tint and seals in excellent shape(leftovers from this)!
cheromanche%20002.jpg

JT86XJ said:
not to hijack this thread, but i got a 2 door and thought bout replacing the 2 back windows with some what thick sheet metal to do away with the windows, less to break. has anyone every seen this?
look for JeepSpeed pictures, they do this alot, but I think they typically use lexan for weight savings.

RCP Phx said:
If you have trouble finding some Ive got a full set with tint and seals in excellent shape(leftovers from this)!
cheromanche%20002.jpg

What are you doing here? Or is this not the finished product?

flexj said:
What are you doing here? Or is this not the finished product?
Its my Cheromanche project!
cheromanche%20011.jpg

Last edited:
Back