• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Popping Noise???

My_Little_Pony

NAXJA Forum User
Alright...first things first...Jeep is an 89 Laredo with a 3" lift and 31" super swampers. First problem being...when I am driving down the road, there is a REALLY bad wobble in what feels to be my driver side front tire. It is really noticable at real low speeds and at around 55 MPH. What could that be? Also, when turning there is a popping noise up in the front end...could that be tie rods? Last but not least, when my Jeep is parked and I grab the tire and wiggle it...it sounds like something is loose....what could that be? Any help would be much appreciated...thanks in advance!!!

Kevin

uhm i would have to say you are in need of some new wheel bearing(hub,unit bearing) on that side.you might want to check the other side while your at it.and if it is that noticable i would say stop driving it go to the store and replace as soon as possible.

sounds like the hub bearing and the track bar may be the popping sound. tighten the axle mount to the track bar and lube the ball joint end.

Popping sound could also be your discos. If you are running JKS discos, make sure they are greased all the time. I have had some really bad popping and squeeking come out of them if they run dry.

Look at the tire angle, is it "square" with the jeep?
Jack up that side, does the angle of the tire change?
Does the tire move when on jackstands?
Change the hub.
Inspect balljoints for tightness, both with tire on ground
and on jackstand.
HTH

Urban Redneck said:
Popping sound could also be your discos.

I had pretty much the exact same set of noises in more or less the same circumstances courtesy of worn lower control arm bushings. $9 apiece at the dealer, which turned out to be cheaper than I could find them online.

Alright, I think I narrowed the noise and loose part down to...Where the pitman arm and tie rod end connect. If you shake the tie rod, you can see a little movement up at the bottom of the pitman arm.

My question now is...I went to purchase a new tie rod end, but they asked "Is that the Driver Inner or outer tie rod or is it the Passenger inner or outer tie rod?" How do I know which one it is? Thanks in advance!!

Im not quite sure either. Im kind of lacking in the years of experence catagory, but i think you're talking about where the pitman arm connects to the drag link, right? Just tell them its location and they should be able to get you your part. Im sure someone with more knowledge will chime in soon.

I am having a similar problem with my xj on 33's (the popping noise). my stock trac bar mount isnt strong eoungh to handle the stress of the larger tires and it wiggling side to side when i turn. you may want to check this on your xj. have a buddy get in with the jeep running and turn the steering wheel back and forth so that you can look for any loose or worn out parts.

get under the front while it's on the ground and wiggle the u-joints on each side behind the hubs/wheels. There should be 0 play in them. If they wiggle or you can move them by hand, they need replacing.

The symptoms you described, I just eliminated by replacing the 260's on each side of my D30

The loose tire/wheel however can be a hub/bearings.

Back