• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changing dashboard gauges....can it be done??

Cris_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hello I have a 96XJ with the very basic dash gauges ,only the speed and gas gauge . Temp and oil only lights up when is too late sense there are only a warning lights.
This are my choices :install my own aftermarket gauges for oil and temp + a tach or go to the junk yard and get me a dash from the better XJ model that comes with all the gauges needed ....if I go this way will it be a simple plug in type a work or a total wiring will be needed ????

Do a search, this has been covered in detail over the years here. Get one from your matching year, there is a breakover point where the spedo goes from mechanical to electric but I dnn't know it off hand. When I did my 98 it was a straight plug n play thing.

Thank you very much ,both sites were really help full ,now I will go ahead and do the swap ..it seems easy and straight forward.

ha ha - thought i deleted that site

i guess ill just make a redirect to my new site at
http://www.opiebennett.com/Gauge.htm

bookmark that one - it will be around for a while where the geocities may die anyday now - havent updated in quite some time...

can the temp and oil senders be remove from the same XJ that I'll be take the cluster from ??? this way I dont have to buy new ones.

Cris_XJ said:
can the temp and oil senders be remove from the same XJ that I'll be take the cluster from ??? this way I dont have to buy new ones.

yup - though i have heard of problems with sensors being bumped and broken while changine the oil - so pulling one out then installing it again might be a bad plan. IIRC they were like 30? for the two of em - oil pressure being the more expensive one...

Back