• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange clock question

cykaaro

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, my dash clock I REALLY hate as it can't be seen during daylight hours at all, and I use it all the time. I've pulled a couple for the wreckers and have two that don't need a back illumination light at all. Here's the deal though. One has the same connection as mine, but has instead of 4 wires, it has 5 wires, and the second one seems the same with 5 wires, but with a whole different connection.

Can anyone tell me how they wire up at all? Would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

[ '90 Pioneer ]

Sorry I have no idea how those ones work as mine requires a bulb behind it. If you have that type and it works why not just replace the bulb? Thats what I did and its great now, I thought it was dead before I replaced the bulb.

Spanky414 said:
Sorry I have no idea how those ones work as mine requires a bulb behind it. If you have that type and it works why not just replace the bulb? Thats what I did and its great now, I thought it was dead before I replaced the bulb.

The light is fine behind it. Just when it's sunny out it's not bright enough to be able to use the clock at all. Guess I'm just picky, but I find it a pita.

Yep, I'm sure........I have three of the different models right now. Mine is the third one in in that pic with the light coming off the back. I have the one the back goes directly into, which is a 4 wire as well, but not sure if it's the same pins in the connector, but the wires are the same, and then I have two of the five wire ones. One with the black plug, one with the white plug.

Basically the 5 wire ones don't use a light to illuminate them so they can be seen during daylight a hell of a lot better. Using my handy-dandy 12v adapter I use for testing things as I work on them I can get them to work but using the ground, and then the positive to two of the other pins. But as to wire a four pin to a five pin is what I'm trying to do, and figure out what goes to what, and where the extra pin has to be plugged to to work properly.

I'm thinking the other lightbulb clock will work better, as the light is directly behind the clock, where as the other one is sideways and pulled back form the clock, but the other two illuminate themselves, which is much perferable. Just wire colours are total different, and no FSM for my jeep, although I use the '88 as a reference when possible. Just don't always understand it, being new to this.

I can't find any wiring diagrams, but I remember that the clock in my 87 was very bright, and had an extra circuit to dim it when the lights came on, so that is probably one of the ones you have. You may have to experiment to see which wires are which, but I never had any problem seeing that one.

Matthew Currie said:
I can't find any wiring diagrams, but I remember that the clock in my 87 was very bright, and had an extra circuit to dim it when the lights came on, so that is probably one of the ones you have. You may have to experiment to see which wires are which, but I never had any problem seeing that one.

I know the '88 and '91 are like that. Need to find a schematic for the '91, and for the '90 which is the one I have which uses the one style with a light behind it. The lights behind are totally useless during the day.

Back