• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What axles to look for in salvage yard?

CamoXJeep

NAXJA Forum User
Going to salvage yard friday so I need to know what vehicles to look for with D60 or other type axles. Front and rear would help. This would be going into my 96XJ Thanks Jeff

Look 1st for 87-89' Xj dana 44 rear axles that's a bolt in. Depending if U can fab stuff a hp44/9" from a f-150 or Bronco in the 70's vintage would be nice. I'd say try to get a full width 9" axle then U can build it based on your needs from 31 to 40 spline shafts, etc etc.

Depending on how much you want to spend and what your build needs are.

If you want a kingpin front, you will ned to get no later than '89 ford f350.
Those are most sought after and the price reflects that.
If you're not particular about the type of knuckles, you can find 60 from a newer year ford with balljoints. can me waay cheaper.
pre '70's(I can't rember exact year) are all low-pinion, all others are high pinion and more expensive.
All f350's have either a rear d60 or 10.25" which is beefier.
Good luck and correct me if I'm wrong!

Don't neglect 3/4 an 1 ton vans for potential rear axles. The WMS-WMS on van axles are sometimes different than pickups so take your tape measure.

When I went to the local yard, I snagged a D60 rear out of a 73dodge pickup, 30spline, full floatin 8 lug for 75$ spring perches lined right up!

Ford f350 78-79 are the best years for a 60 or 44. F250 is a 44, F350 is a 60. Sometimes you can find 60's in F250's, but they were only avalible in snowfighter packages, very rare.

Good luck.

don't forget the Mopar 8 3/4. they are often seen as junk but did appear in Hemi cars.

mid 70's and earlier Dodge Vans, Pickups, and V8 cars.

specifically the 62-70 B Body with a track width of 59.2"
and the 71-72 B body with a track width of 62" for you full width guys.

Some of these cars also have D60's if well optioned (426/4 speed).
I wouldn't hold your breath though .

Reg gearing a 8 3/4 is pretty darn easy since it has a drop out 3rd member.
Moser, Strange, etc. All have race ready parts for you.

I bought a B-Body 3.07 open housing on EBay drum to drum for $50 last year.

Thanks for all the info guys, what kind of gearing would I find in some of these? Right now currently running stock axles and gears 3:55 w/33's. I know but didnt have the money till now. Would like to regear if they come with better at the same time. Thanks all Jeff

Back