• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Glow gauge faces flickering & very warm!

Spidey

NAXJA Forum User
My glow gauge faces from 4x4 Mods have been installed for almost a year with no problems.
Last week I noticed that they were pulsing slightly, but now the face on the tach is flickering on and off. It seems to get better if I turn the intensity down, but then I can't see the numbers at night!
I also noticed that my cigarette lighter is hot to the touch. Since I am drawing power for the gauges off of the lighter, I felt the plexiglas on the gauge cluster and it was very warm also.
Do I simply need to find another power source for the gauge faces, or should I be concerned about faulty wiring elsewhere?
I don't want my beloved XJ burning to the ground!

disconnect them and see what happens... thats what i would do first... and if your lighter is cold... hook it up temporarily to the battery and see whats up, if it still flickers, and shit like that......btw is your second car a civic?

Did you use insulation displacing "snap" type connectors to connect them to your lighter wiring? If so...they have worked loose, built up resistance, and are now overheating. If you did use those connectors, remove them and solder the wires correctly.

Rev

I'll have to check my connections. It's been way too long since I installed them, so I don't remember what type of connectors I used. Probably the quick connectors (might have even been included with the kit).
Thanks for the tips, both of ya's.
btw Purple, my last car was an Eagle Talon, so I guess I still have a little rice left in me. But to be fair the stock gauge illumination on a '92 XJ sucks some serious swamp water. The glow gauges really do help with the visibility at night.
Thanks again!

Back