• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hello from Haiti

Red97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I am on a mission trip in Haiti.

I know its wrong forum, but gotta be quick. We are on satellite.

These people are amazing.

Be home to drive my jeep soon. The compound I am at has a 98 Toyota Land Rover TRUCK that has 10,000 miles. They maintain it well, but the "roads" (trails) are so bad going up and down the mountian that they have replaced the front leaves once already and the rear has 2 busted leafs on one side.... waiting on parts. Hard to get.

The wheeling here would be some of the best in the world.... just need a barge to get here! But then we would live in huts with no water and food.... no so great.

Jason

Red97XJ said:
Hey guys, I am on a mission trip in Haiti.

I know its wrong forum, but gotta be quick. We are on satellite.

These people are amazing.

Be home to drive my jeep soon. The compound I am at has a 98 Toyota Land Rover TRUCK that has 10,000 miles. They maintain it well, but the "roads" (trails) are so bad going up and down the mountian that they have replaced the front leaves once already and the rear has 2 busted leafs on one side.... waiting on parts. Hard to get.

The wheeling here would be some of the best in the world.... just need a barge to get here! But then we would live in huts with no water and food.... no so great.

Jason

The wheeling sounds fun and exotic, and the living there fun for a few weeks, how is it compared to TV? I get the impression disease is so rampant i would not want to step off the boat, and would try my luck at swiming to what ever is the next closest island. PS you meant LAND CRUISER. :lecture:

Sweet man! My brother went there last year- awesome experience. he actually helped a guy figure out how to replace the wheel bearings and hubs on a dump truck, and then got to "drive" the 4x4 truck at the compound. Sounds like a blast!!! :)
Codeman

[email protected]

Ya, land cruiser, whoops. I was tired when I posted that. I am home now... where it is VERY cold! (indiana).

I was in Port Au Prince for 2 overnights, then most of the time was on LaGonave (Island). It is VERY POOR. I was at the Wesleyan Compound and hospital. Anybody been there?
Yes, they have disease there, but as long as you get your vacines, you lower the chances. anytime you travel ANYWHERE you have some risk. Gotta have some faith.
codeman, what is your brothers name? Where does he live? PA or IN by chance?
anyway, sad and glad to be home.

Later,
Jason

It is really cool to hear of fellow jeepers going down there to help. I was there this last summer and it certainly has been an amazing, life-changing experience.

There definitely would be some awesome wheeling down there, including all the "roads".

It would be awesome wheeling, although my jeep and life made me feel like a spoiled little american that does not really appreciate what we have going. I am going to complain less..... especailly about our taxes and government.

One thing that suprised me down there was how many foreign trucks there were. Mostly toyotas. Those must be some tuff trucks. I did see more XJ's than wranglers... I think because they have more hauling room? but still 15 toy's to 1 jeep.

If you want to see some pics of my trip, here ya go. http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeBMmLJy4atXVw
The ones that say PAP stand for Port au Prince (the mainland) I spent most of the time on the Island of Lagonave which makes the mainland seem fairly well off. The average haitian makes $250 a year! It was a 14 mile boat ride with 12' seas! Think about that when you see our little sail boat!

Catch ya all later,
Jason

Back