• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

newbie???

pa_muddin_xj

NAXJA Forum User
I know i've been asking alot of questions, but i'm a newbie to the xj i don't even own one yet. i'm just trying to get my feet wet by asking questions and looking around at various xj's. but i was wondering do the front seats in the xj recline?

Yes, but on the older ones, not very far and the lever is a pain in the ass. They switched them to the newer mechanism in the early 90's.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that they recline on the 2-door models.

RTicUL8 wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe that they recline on the 2-door models.

They recline on my 87 2door Laredo. The 2 door models also flip forward for access to the rear.

Copperhead

The seats on my 86' 4 door Laredo recline, there is a lever on the side of the seat and one on the bottom. The one on the side moves just the top half of the seat and the one on the bottom pivots the entire seat foward and backward.

Oh and welcome to the club, pa_muddin!

What got u interested in XJs?

In the 84-94 years, there were several different grades of seats. I've even seen a base 94 with a column shift and bench seat. I've seen base seats with no recline at all, but not often. Then there was a reclining seat, and above that a reclining seat with a tilting base, and above that a power seat. An 89 2-door I bought for parts had reclining, tilt-base seats. My stepson's 93 sport lacks the tilt base, but still reclines.

The orig. seats on my 87 were black pleather seats(i think part of the "cheif" package),they slide forward and back but no recline.

I replaced them with some tan ones from a 93 country, those have the "hard to use" recliner lever up on the side.

Back