• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Atlas questions

BIGWOODY

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to order an Atlas for my MJ. The Aw4 is 21spline, I realize a 23 spline might be a better candidate, but I have several good 21 spline AW4s laying around. Is there any additional spacers, etc. that will be required or is it pretty much all inclusive when ordered? I'm getting the HD outputs and a 3.0 ratio, it best suits my rig and my type of wheeling where a little wheel speed is needed from time to time. Any help would be appreciated. Greg

Did you finally blow up the stock 242 Or are you just after some more bling? :D

I also have the auto tranny from my 91 that is 23 spline output if intrested. You could probally swap the out put shafts and save yourself 1.5" of driveline length.

AARON

MrShoeBoy said:
Did you finally blow up the stock 242 Or are you just after some more bling? :D

I also have the auto tranny from my 91 that is 23 spline output if intrested. You could probally swap the out put shafts and save yourself 1.5" of driveline length.

AARON
Been running a 231 , but I carry a 242 as a spare in the tow rig. Haven't broken either, just going to compete in some nueroc events and need to have the 2lo fwd option to get around cones..

MrShoeBoy said:
You could probally swap the out put shafts and save yourself 1.5" of driveline length.

This sentence is confusing me.

Are you saying the 21 spline version is 1.5" longer than the 23 spline version?

Just curious.

r@m

BIGWOODY said:
Been running a 231 , but I carry a 242 as a spare in the tow rig. Haven't broken either, just going to compete in some nueroc events and need to have the 2lo fwd option to get around cones..

Then just get a 23 spline d300. They are like $250ish used, easy to flip make Drives side drop, Easy to twin stick, and are 2.62:1 low very close to the atlas 3:1 for how much less it costs! Your NP231 should be 2.72:1.

Dont add an attlas to a 21 spline...

The front dig will get you around the cones great.

BIGWOODY said:
, just going to compete in some nueroc events and need to have the 2lo fwd option to get around cones..

Hey, that's the same reason I gave up my 231. What class are you competeing in? I'm in Stock/Modified. I'll have to look you up in May. Good luck to you.

Hamy.

Root Moose said:
This sentence is confusing me.

Are you saying the 21 spline version is 1.5" longer than the 23 spline version?

Just curious.

r@m

No. It was mentioned above that in order to run an Atlas with an AW-4 that has a 21 spline output you would need an adapter that is around 1.5" long. If you swaped out the 21 spline output for the 23 spline output you wouldnt have to use the adapter which would add 1.5" of lenght to the driveline. Make sence?

Bigwoody...Good luck on the comps! Let us know how you do.

AARON

ashmanjeepxj said:
Then just get a 23 spline d300. They are like $250ish used, easy to flip make Drives side drop, Easy to twin stick, and are 2.62:1 low very close to the atlas 3:1 for how much less it costs! Your NP231 should be 2.72:1.

Dont add an attlas to a 21 spline...

The front dig will get you around the cones great.
I agree!

pick up a 23 spline tranny and a D300 for under $500 and you're done. upgrade the outputs if you like, you're still saving over $1500.

if you just want the bling you could probably get it plated ;)

Andy has a D300 for sale, if you want to go that way.

MrShoeBoy said:
No. It was mentioned above that in order to run an Atlas with an AW-4 that has a 21 spline output you would need an adapter that is around 1.5" long. If you swaped out the 21 spline output for the 23 spline output you wouldnt have to use the adapter which would add 1.5" of lenght to the driveline. Make sence?

Ok, got it. Thanks.

r@m

Why not a 2Low kit in the 231? My 231 has a 4:1 TeraLow, 2Low, HD SYE, and a wide chain. Yeah, I know I spent alot on it, but isn't it able to compete with the others? I know a gear drive is stronger, but how much more strength do I need with a stock 4.0?
Sorry for the "newbie" questions, but I've been wondering about this for awhile now.
Thanks.

BIGWOODY said:
I'm going to order an Atlas for my MJ. The Aw4 is 21spline, I realize a 23 spline might be a better candidate, but I have several good 21 spline AW4s laying around. Is there any additional spacers, etc. that will be required or is it pretty much all inclusive when ordered? I'm getting the HD outputs and a 3.0 ratio, it best suits my rig and my type of wheeling where a little wheel speed is needed from time to time. Any help would be appreciated. Greg

Acording to Atlas, you could order the atlas with a variety of spline count on the input shaft including 21 splines. There is a 1" spacer that is available for use on some transmissions because of the length of the transmission output shaft.
Hope this helps.

flexj said:
Hey, that's the same reason I gave up my 231. What class are you competeing in? I'm in Stock/Modified. I'll have to look you up in May. Good luck to you.

Hamy.

Stock modified...had to add a little "frame" back to it to extend over the rear axle.

Back