• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Column to floor shifter swap question

tcf26

NAXJA Forum User
Well I am switching my column shifted MJ to a Floor Shifter and was wondering if the cables from the column shifter will just pop on the floor shifter and work? I assume they should be the same? Or do I have to hit the yards and get them from an xj? I have the floor shifter and the 4x4 shifter to go with it and the hump plate it all bolts to. Just didn't get the cables since I didn't know if you could use the ones off of the column shifter, and yes this is a 2wd AW4 it is going to.

Last edited:
Wait for eagle to catch this one...

Sorry, I don't know.

I'm a 5-speed guy, remember?

Thanks guys I knew this might be a tricky one if I didn't find just the right person who has done it! Might just be easier to get the cables at the yard then getting it all apart and finding I have to do that anyway!

Advance Auto lists the "transmission shift cable" as the same part # for a column-shifted MJ and a floor-shifted XJ (P/N is Motormite 16672, about $30). Sounds like it's the same cable, but then again I'm like Eagle...I'm a 5 spd guy :))
Maybe you could swing by a dealership and see if they list the same OEM number for each cable application (???)
Good luck!
Jeff

Okay that helps alot actually, where does the cable come in through the firewall on an XJ? My XJ is not here in MI right now so I can't go out and look!! LOL!! Anyway the one on the MJ comes in right above the Brake Booster. Does the one on the xj come in right above the tranny bellhousing? I noticed there is a hole there with a plug in it and the cable will not reach from where it is now, I know that much, but it looks like I I will have to get a steering column for the interlock to work but I can live without that for now.

You might want to shoot Hurst and B&M a couple of emails, they may have a conversion kit. Personally I think that if you found a donor XJ of the same year with a floor lever you could strip all the parts from that.

Well the only pieces i am missing are the cables and the steering column to make the interlock work. It seems I can use the floor shifter without the interlock but you will be able to put in in gear even without the key on or in the ignition. I can live with that for now till I get the column out of an XJ just can't leave my daughter in there by herself!! LOL!

Back