• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CV shaft shim question

dphillips

See,what had happened was
I just put on the SYE and CV driveshaft. The pinion is pointed almost directly at the transfer case now (using 2* shims), maybe one degree low. However, once I reach highway speeds I still get a slight vibration. It is much less noticable when I'm just coasting. Is this from spring wrap? If so how should I correct it? These are new RE spring packs. They seem pretty beefy compared to stock. Will they still have some wrap? Should I remove the shims and bring the pinion down some more?
Also, I have not done an alignment yet. Could this be some of the problem?

This is on a 2000 xj w/ 3.5" RE super ride kit.

is that a measured 1° low or an eye-balled 1° low? It's all nothing more than guessing without the numbers.

It's just an eyeball guesstimation.
It really is pointed almost directly at the TC. It's just a little low (barely noticable).

Get a cheap magnetic protractor from sears or somewhere. There are flats on the rear end than are parallel with the gear, and it'll stick to the bottom of the d/s. The math then comes easy.

And I'm math-impaired.

Mike #300

Back