• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Atlas & AW4

Mike L

NAXJA Forum User
Who here has an Atlas and an AW4? I was wondering how much more the front yoke on the Atlas sticks than the 231? How much shorter is it in the rear than an AA sye? I was just trying to get an idea of what driveshaft mods are needed beforehand. How is the fitment with the shifters with the new XJ specific linkage? IIRC you just need to open up the hole on the tunnel. I did search about the driveshaft issues but noone gave specifics.

-Mike

Mike L said:
Who here has an Atlas and an AW4? I was wondering how much more the front yoke on the Atlas sticks than the 231? How much shorter is it in the rear than an AA sye? I was just trying to get an idea of what driveshaft mods are needed beforehand. How is the fitment with the shifters with the new XJ specific linkage? IIRC you just need to open up the hole on the tunnel. I did search about the driveshaft issues but noone gave specifics.

-Mike

well, I have a 5 speed... but the t case on the auto / manual is the same length...

when I installed my atlas, my rear needed 5 inches and the front needed 5 inches less. Should be the same for you . I used the front driveshaft on the back and it was PERFECT!

as for the shifters I had the TJ shifters so I had to bend them a little but the hole in the floor is stock and they fit well! I imagin the XJ specific will bolt right in as it is designed for the aw4.

I had a 231 with AA sye/AW4 and when I put the atlas in it ended up needing about 3" longer in the rear and the front was pretty close. I think I had to cut the front shaft down 1.5" or something. That kind of sucked because I had stretched the front axle out a bit to make both my dshafts the same lenght so I only needed to carry one spare. Oh well, I really dig the Atlas.

robbieyukon said:
there is also the teralow 4:1 for the 231. but you asked about the atlas.

Relevance?

I am running a Atlas behind a AW4 and I have the shifter designed for it I also have to run a spacer between the Atlas and the AW4. I did index my Atlas one set of holes higher than the directions said for more ground clearance (had to beat floor pan up for more clearance) As for the driveshafts I am running the 1350 shafts from High Angle Drive Line you can run these on the rear and the front as long as you get the 32 spline upgrade. He also has a E-brake for the flange at the transfer case side.

I believe depending on the year of the aw4 some of them you have to run a spacer between the Atlas and the transmision. I know you do when you have a 88 AW4. This may be why you are getting different drive shaft measurements from various people. Also these measurements are going to depend on what people have done to there drive shats previously if they have already been altered for ex. one person has 1" of compression and someone else had 2" of compression one will have to shorten the shaft 3" the other person it would be 4" also the measurement will depend on the axle type if one person has 44, lift, etc..

I will measure my drive shafts for you but I am running High Pinion 60's front and rear so it probably wont help you.

I have a 96 with an aw4 and atlas, with stock axles d30,8.25, the front driveshaft is shorter, the only annoying thing about that is removing the front ds is a pain in the ass, I have to drop my skids and crossmember to get at the cardan joint to unbolt it from the yoke ....The shifters clear with a little trimming to the floor and console - , (my floor is gutted, patched and herc'd anyway so it's no big deal) if you want to keep it nice, take your time to work out what needs to be trimmed to fit them, it isnt as much as you might think. I clocked the case as AA suggests - even then you have to re-shape the floor upwards for clearance, I still might clock it up a little more, just for ground clearance, as it does hang down a little more than I like at this point. As far as driveshafts, get the case installed first then measure for the driveshafts, the ds length depends on the lift,axles etc. depending on the year there are several variations of the aw4 output shaft, it helps a lot to know that info before you order the t-case.(you were pulling the old case off anyway ;-))

Last edited:
Art Triggs said:
I have a 96 with an aw4 and atlas, with stock axles d30,8.25, the front driveshaft is shorter, the only annoying thing about that is removing the front ds is a pain in the ass, I have to drop my skids and crossmember to get at the cardan joint to unbolt it from the yoke ....The shifters clear with a little trimming to the floor and console - , (my floor is gutted, patched and herc'd anyway so it's no big deal) if you want to keep it nice, take your time to work out what needs to be trimmed to fit them, it isnt as much as you might think. I clocked the case as AA suggests - even then you have to re-shape the floor upwards for clearance, I still might clock it up a little more, just for ground clearance, as it does hang down a little more than I like at this point. As far as driveshafts, get the case installed first then measure for the driveshafts, the ds length depends on the lift,axles etc. depending on the year there are several variations of the aw4 output shaft, it helps a lot to know that info before you order the t-case.(you were pulling the old case off anyway ;-))

Thanks. I know the driveshaft lengths vary with lift, axles, etc. I was just trying to plan ahead. I will have my current High Angle driveline shortened for the front and get a new rear shaft made. Thanks guys.

-Mike

Back