• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need help!

wrecked

NAXJA Forum User
I decided to clean out my throttle body today and I just found a diconnected wire that looks like it could be inportant.

It hangs out near the throttle body on the right hand side and down a bit. It is attached to a round piece on one end, and if I follow that line back it runs to my air filter/intake box.

It's been plugged off with a screw by someone, I dont know who, or why. I looks like it should go onto another round piece that is mounted off the side of the...I think its part of the engine, but I'm probably wrong.

I dont have any pics because my computer isnt letting me load them up right now. So I drew up a little diagram on paint.

disconnectedwire.jpg

Dark grey = the engine or what ever
Light grey= Air intake box
Blue= A piece that bolts on to the side of the engine(?) with 2 bolts
Black= A metal line running from the blue piece to the black disc
Yellow= the rubber line that runs from a black disc to the air box and on the other end is disconnected
Purple= A weird looking disc type piece that is attached to the blue piece.
green= A little stick that comes out that looks like it has had a rubber hose connected to it, its also where I think the yellow line should hook up.

The blue arrows are just to show that I think the yellow should hook to the green.

Can someone please see if they can tell what that piece is and if the line and the other piece should be connected?

I'm really sorry that this is so vague and confusing.

It would help to know what year this is. I'm guessing that it's an 87-90, and that what you're describing is a disconnected vacuum line to the EGR valve. The EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve, is supposed to divert some exhaust back into the intake system to cool combustion and reduce nitrous oxide emissions. Sometimes it will stick open and when it does, the engine won't idle. The simplest way to solve this problem is to disconnect it. If your Jeep is running all right, you have the choice of ignoring it or fixing it. Fixing it is "greener" and ignoring is cheaper. Any change in performance will be very small or nonexistent. If you live in a state with emissions testing, you might have to fix it to pass visual inspection.

Your Jeep should have a vacuum hose diagram somewhere under the hood, and if so, you might be able to use that to identify components.

Thanks. It is a '90. I think that I will just leave it alone. After cleaning my throttle body and air intake tube out there is alot of noticable difference in the way it drives. Its very upbeat and snappy now.

I just passed emissions testings about 4-5 months ago and that was with a hollowed out catalytic converter so I should be safe.

Back