• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

29 spline into a 27 spline 8.25 housing ?

hackedxj

NAXJA Member #1090
Pretty simple, Can I take a Cherokee with a 27 spline 8.25, pull out the axles and the spider gears and replace them with a 29 spline Powertrax and 29 spline axle shafts? Or will I have to change the whole housing? Thanks

I believe you would need the 29-spline carrier.

I just did this mod on my 92 cherokee one of my axles had bad bearing wear, so i took it in to the local gear shop they sold me 29 splines from a 98 went in no problems I upgraded from open diff to a trac lock. The gear shop told me if I wanted to stay with the open diff I could use the same carrier just had to change the side gears from 27 to 29. Hope that helps.

xjohnnyc said:
I believe you would need the 29-spline carrier.
Boy, that was stupid. :twak: Sorry, I'm tired.

I was thinking about the open carrier vs. the trac-loc carrier. I had replaced my 27-spline open rear axle for a 29-spline axle with a No-slip installed in the trac-loc carrier.

CanadianCool said:
I just did this mod on my 92 cherokee one of my axles had bad bearing wear, so i took it in to the local gear shop they sold me 29 splines from a 98 went in no problems I upgraded from open diff to a trac lock. The gear shop told me if I wanted to stay with the open diff I could use the same carrier just had to change the side gears from 27 to 29. Hope that helps.
That's what I was hoping to here, it will be alot easier swapping just the shafts rather pulling to two complete rearends and swapping them, Thanks guys

xjohnnyc said:
Boy, that was stupid. :twak: Sorry, I'm tired.

I was thinking about the open carrier vs. the trac-loc carrier. I had replaced my 27-spline open rear axle for a 29-spline axle with a No-slip installed in the trac-loc carrier.

No, I think you're right. Bill Burge had a 27 spline axle into which he wanted to put in 29 spline shafts and a no slip and it turned out that he needed a carrier from the 29 spline axle or he would have to machine it out to take the 29 spline shafts. Best bet would be to take the 27 spline housing and getting a detroit and 29 spline shafts.

Back