• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d44 u-joint ideas

bj-666

NAXJA Forum User
i've been lookin into upgrading axles forever now and just don't realy want ot put a 44 under there with the same u-joints size i have now soo do you guys think that the knuckle is big enough to fit d60 size joints in i was thinking of machining off the currne yoke and boring out the d60 yoke making a press fit and welding it to the shaft i guess you would have to re heat treat too. this is all a guess so feel free to shoot the idea down but could it work huh huh!!

You could do that but it would be easier to buy a set of bling Dana 60 Crane knuckles with the right tube diameter as your 44 and get a set of custom cromo shafts made to run Dana 60 CTM joints. The only problem is that the weak link might end up being the Dana 44 R&P so be careful ;)

AARON

So you don't already have the D44?
How about c/v shafts? OK, now everybody laugh together now, I'm used to it. Seriously, I'll start by saying that I HAVE broken these. BUT, I've worn and broken lots of 297 u-joints, and stretched the yokes to the point that the caps spit the clips off enough times to try something else.
I'll just state the advantages to make my point, and we can discuss. 1. Constant velocity(unlike your double cardan driveshaft joints) 2. Ever seen a broken joint tangle up the yokes and seperate the knuckle from the axles(yeah, this is a real "easy" field repair)
I'll qualify that breakage w/ the fact that when I installed the c/v's this Jeep went from DD to toy, and although it's only seen about 3k since then, it's offroad abuse has been at least doubled, as I don't depend on it everyday anymore. So, it gets used hard. Full lock strg., full power, is no problem on slippery surfaces(makes for donuts like you wouldn't believe unless you've seen the video, like a top)

I tack weld the caps in my D44 shafts and I have to grind the welds down so that they will fit through the knuckle. in other words, there is no way you're going to fit a D60 joint through a normal D44 knuckle. even if you did what's the point if you're still using 19 spline D44 stub shafts, they break before a good D44 joint.

If you really want a hybrid, a Ford 9 or Toyota 8", either with HP third, using D60 shafts and outers, would be the way to go.

BrettM said:
I tack weld the caps in my D44 shafts and I have to grind the welds down so that they will fit through the knuckle. in other words, there is no way you're going to fit a D60 joint through a normal D44 knuckle. even if you did what's the point if you're still using 19 spline D44 stub shafts, they break before a good D44 joint.

If you really want a hybrid, a Ford 9 or Toyota 8", either with HP third, using D60 shafts and outers, would be the way to go.

I think if you are going to do this you'll need 35 spline inners as well, which is simple now that ARB makes a 35 spline D-44 locker. Then 35 spline stubs, and don't forget a set of CTM's.

Should be cool to watch the ring and pinion go!

I like CV's, just haven't experienced them in person yet.

CRASH

CRASH said:
I think if you are going to do this you'll need 35 spline inners as well, which is simple now that ARB makes a 35 spline D-44 locker. Then 35 spline stubs, and don't forget a set of CTM's.

Should be cool to watch the ring and pinion go!

I like CV's, just haven't experienced them in person yet.

CRASH

Sounds good. I thought I heard a rumor about the 35 spline 44. Well they had to do something now that the 30 spline dana 30 has been out for awhile, keep raising the bar. :laugh3: I should have add the 35 spline arb to my list of mods but I'm just going with a full soft detroit locker for dependability. Is there an easy way to get rid of the 19 spline ford outer stub axle shafts besides going with the 35 spline shafts? Then like U said your r&p will be the weak link, knuckles, u-joint, but with a CTM I doubt that will be a problem. What do you think the max tire size on the 35 spline 44 would be a 37-39"? Probably a 37" with the r&p right? The ultra rare Camper Edition hp44 is good for some added beef right? Just kidding about that part. :laugh3:

my friend runs these:
http://www.longfieldsuperaxles.com/
(the 30 spline) in his 1985 toy 8" front end

basicaly he did all the research on them and in the 9 months that they have been out NO ONE has broken them...

oh and so im not one of thoes - my friend who doesnt exist people - here is his rig and mine...

click the pic for a larger image...

BrettM said:
they're for a Toyota front axle! there are far easier/cheaper hybrids to consider.

i know - but it is still an option....

Back