• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High clearance shock mounts+OME shocks ???

darkmann

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so heres the prob, I have a RE 3.5 with OME shocks(n35L front,n36l rear) my left rear shock seems to be extremely over-extended to the point that when i go over a bump i get a thump sound which i think is that shock reaching the end of its travel. I was going to do the high clearance shock mount mod which would raise tha lower mount and fix the prob of over extending+give me more clearance. would there be any adverse affects of doing this

thanks

If the shocks are in fact too short, raising the mounts on the axle tube will help. This will also reduce dragging over rocks. I home-made a set out of one leaf perch cut in half, drilled and added a bolts. The next axle will get JKS #OGS922. Better execution of a simple thing...

You could also make a crossmember that drops the upper mounts a little bit. Mine is a simple piece of 2 x 2 x 0.250" box tube, notched to fit between the rails and uses the bumpstop bolts. I drilled four holes per side, spaced 2" apart, starting at 2" either side of center... these holes allow canting the shocks to tune travel & stiffness.

You dont really want your shocks acting as limiting straps, but it's probably better than them being bumpstops :)

alright thanks man, i think i'll go ahead and do it anyway i would like the extra clearance. if they start actin like bumpstops i'll just fork the bucks and get stock length OME's

Are you running full packs or an AAL?

I used to run the RE 3.5 w/ full packs and the Long Travel OME's - they were fine then, and are still fine @ 5". I am running JKS BPE's, but that only changes the height by 1/2-3/4"

If your shocks are reaching the compression limit when you go over a bump then you need to extend your bumpstops. Raising the lower shock mount will only make this worse. Check out DPG for his adjustable rear bumpstops or for the short shocks if that's the way you're going.

running the full packs. and i kno they''re the right ones but it just seems funny. also they're not compressing to far its the extension i'm worried about.

How long ago did you put the lift on? Is it sitting even? What lift height are the springs sitting at?

Seems odd that only one shock is extended since they're the same length.

you sure that "thump" is not worn out shock bushings.. and or loose mounting bolts?

i had the same problem with mine

Back