• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear defroster dash plug color and help?

19cherokee92

NAXJA Forum User
1992 XJ 4door

still trying to get my rear defroster working. I just got the build sheet from the jeep web site and it lists

GEDS - Tinted Rr Drs/Qtr/Liftgate Glass

which are not tinted on mine but the defroster wiring is in the glass and hooked up in the hatch.

could not find any of the build codes that indicated it originally came with the rear defroster option? anyone know the code for rear defroster?

I also always assumed it came with rear defroster b/c it has the fuse in the underhood fuse center and also has the fuse under the dash. both fuse locations have 12 volts but the pink plug to the left of the steering column only shows 0.11 volts on my DVM. checked the ground in the pink plug with another hot 12v accessory wire and it seems to ground fine.

does the power go from the fuse block to the switch and then to the relay before going to the rear glass? should i run another wire from the fuse block to the switch or is the next step to check/replace the relay?

what color should the plug for the rear defroster be? am I trying to get the fog light plug to work the rear defroster?

thanks for any assistance

just got the build sheet for my 2001 XJ back and it states

GFAS - Rear Window Defroster

so that possibly means my 92 did not come from the factory with the rear defroster. now is the pink plug used for the defroster switch on models that came with rear defroster? or will i need to add another plug and possibly a relay and run wires back to the rear glass?

run wires from fuseblock to switch to relay to rear glass? is there a power wire that goes straight to the relay and bypasses the switch?

I have a the same prob except mine never came w/rr defog. I have a parts jeep and replaced the def glass and the lines and fuse are there but but no juice. I just need to know which is the pwr line. Should have checked before getting rid of parts jeep. I already installed pwr/w/L/seats, rear wiper/washer tilt & cruise from old jeep and every works except defoger.

Back