• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Substitute for expandable foam

Roxtar

NAXJA Forum User
I need to fill/seal a 2" X 2" X 8" space. Typical expanding foam would be perfect if not for the well documented water absorbing problem.
Any recommendations?

This expanding foam called "Great Stuff" doesn't absorb water. Whenever it dries, it gets rock hard, and I've used it in my jeep to actually prevent water from getting in through the rear quarter panels.

xjj33p3r said:
This expanding foam called "Great Stuff" doesn't absorb water. Whenever it dries, it gets rock hard, and I've used it in my jeep to actually prevent water from getting in through the rear quarter panels.

Almost ... Great stuff makes a "closed cell" foam that is waterproof. Not all the greatstuff line is though, some foam is like a sea sponge texture it absorbs water. Also look at home depot, one of the other brands is water proof AND you can re use it. The great stuff is one use. If you do use it find some leaks around your basement windows etc and gitter done.

A better solution might be a fiberglass patch. Definately waterproof.

motorcityxj said:
A better solution might be a fiberglass patch. Definately waterproof.

Fiberglass is not waterproof!

Well, I didn't get the spongy kind which I'm glad for. I used to use this stuff whenever I worked in a metal shop that made huge 13ft tall doors for the upper-class housing communities. Worked great as insulation and got rock hard whenever it cured. Either way, pick what you want dude.

If you're talking about your fender wells, use the pool noodles--they work great.

I uses "great stuff" in my trimmed rear quarter panels. After it was hard I trimmed the squished out parts and painted it to seal it up. Worked great.

Used great stuff and it bulged out the sheet metal beneath gas tank filler, probably my fault for using too much, but that's how powerful it is in tight apllications. I was sound deadening with 2x layer of Dynamat in conjunction with gs.

But... Learned quickly that unless you apply it in layers in thick applications, the "core" does not cure/expand and remains very "thin".

It does retain water, at the bottom of the corner where the gas filler lines are located, water keeps collecting, fortunately the 4x4 bumber cap hides any rust that may chew through. Again, maybe my fault, and I drilled a couple of drainage holes during the learning process

Would use it again, but read instructions better! :paperwork

BTW, the more and more I go through life, I find myself adhering to the KISS philoso :lecture: phy.

Mike #300

Dylan90xj said:
hmmmm...doesn't xplain why boats and canoes don't sink.
Same reason steel ships float,"water displacement".Talk to a boat shop or boat onwer about what causes "blister(s) on a hull!!!

RCP Phx said:
Same reason steel ships float,"water displacement".Talk to a boat shop or boat onwer about what causes "blister(s) on a hull!!!

so are you saying that steel leaks too?? i'm sorry but neither steel or fiberglass leak if the fiber glass/gellcoat was applied in an impropper fassion and not protected it will cause pobs but a correctly aplied fiberglass will not leak water, soo on to the question where exactly are you trying to fill.

I'm pretty sure that fiberglass on it's own will still absorb water. It's the finish on it that makes it waterproof. I had a canoe that had been patched with fiberglass at one point and the raw fiberglass would hold moisture every time it was used.

I think that's what you are both saying without actually saying it plain and simple.

RCP Phx said:
Fiberglass is not waterproof!

Aren't there boat hulls made of fiberglass, and various other composites? If that isn't waterproof I don't know what is. Yeah the cloth by itself will absorb water. But in a proper layup it is impervious to water. Do fiberglass tubs for SWB Jeeps melt in water?

Last edited:
The question is mute since we dont know what he's trying to do.But,fiberglass/polyester resin ("by itself " which is the way most automotive applications are done)does permeate(by osmosis) water and can cause rust to form where laid over metal(in time).

paint the fiberglass ! Por15 uses fiberglass to patch the floors in the floor repair kits. I have never needed anyting this big patched on my 1995 xj, but if por15 says it works i belive 'em. Yes great stuff can work but get the closed cel like i said earlier, or get fiberglass AND paint it.

Back