• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 spool???

tekeum

NAXJA Member #1203
Is there a spool avalible for the 8.25 (27 spline). What other less expensive options do I have for for locking up the rear. Want to go with the ford 8.8 but dont have the money right now. I have an aussi locker on the way for the D30. I run 35's & it is my daily driver.

Thanks, Teke

Your 8.25 will last about 1000 miles, if you are lucky, with a spool and 35's.
Do your self a favor and save up money for a stronger axle.
If you are runnung 35's right now, your days with that axle are numbered as it is!!
Don't spool it!
You will be sorry.

tekeum said:
Is there a spool avalible for the 8.25 (27 spline). What other less expensive options do I have for for locking up the rear. Want to go with the ford 8.8 but dont have the money right now. I have an aussi locker on the way for the D30. I run 35's & it is my daily driver.

Thanks, Teke

I agree with Sean that a spool is a bad idea... if you go with a lunchbox locker your axle will (maybe) last longer and you save the cost of resetting the gears that would be associated with a full spool.

I've been running 34's on my 8.25 for months now, and have had no breakage. I haven't got it spooled though, but I don't mind breakin it since I've got an 8.8 waiting :)

xjj33p3r said:
I've been running 34's on my 8.25 for months now, and have had no breakage. I haven't got it spooled though, but I don't mind breakin it since I've got an 8.8 waiting :)
27 or 29. you say no spool but are you open.

XJ4playin said:
I'm not aware that there is any spool made for c-clip axles.

You are probably right... in which case the question is moot. But if he wanted to weld the carrier, it would result in the same thing and the advice is valid. Don't do it!

Back