• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6" Full Traction LA install help

4x4forlife

NAXJA Forum User
ok guys i got the rear kit installed fine and all the Long arm brackets installed.
Now When i started this lift i just took out the whole axle to clean/paint.... Now as i go back to install the front axle im a little iffy. I have adjustable control arms. adjustable tie rods & adjustable track bar. How do i know where the axle should be?? The one thing I do know is that the coil spring plates need to be level with the ground.. but how far forward should the axle be? and is there anything esle that i should really know before reinstalling it?

Any help is awesome.

Thanks,

Trevor

When I was installing my lift I found GoJeep's Wheel Alignment page to be very helpful when adjusting control arm lengths. I do not know how useful the information will be for long arms but you might the discussion on angles for castor might be informative.

Hey , I have the same lift and installed it about a month ago. Heres what you do , completelty take off the joints unscrew them all the way and then screw them back on all the way counting how many rotations you make then you take that number and divide it in half , so if there are 44 turns have the joint screwed in 22 turns. Do the same with the track bar. Now go get an alignment and they will take the arms off and re-adjust it all so that its dialed in 100% perfectly. Just make sure they know what they are doing and dont let them try to overcharge you its not that hard , it takes at maximum 1 1/2 hours and it cost me $125 (canadian). It best to have them do it after you've lifted a vehicle you need to get an alignment. if you have any pics send them to my email [email protected] . Im interested to see what your jeep looks like with the lift , I know I love mine. Did you cut off the lower control arm mounts yet ?

I didnt event think about doing that.. I am getting it aligned anywayz.. Yes i allready cut them off... well part of them off, im gonna touch it all up so it is smooth and looks somewhat like new. What size tire are you running? Trimed? I am runniing no fenders in front and trimmed in the rear. would like to run 35 boggers soon. current tire is 32 m/t. I dont have pics now but hopefully within a week it will be on tires and i can take some.

4x4forlife said:
I didnt event think about doing that.. I am getting it aligned anywayz.. Yes i allready cut them off... well part of them off, im gonna touch it all up so it is smooth and looks somewhat like new. What size tire are you running? Trimed? I am runniing no fenders in front and trimmed in the rear. would like to run 35 boggers soon. current tire is 32 m/t. I dont have pics now but hopefully within a week it will be on tires and i can take some.

Yeah just do that and that will get you to your alignment shop safely. Im pretty much same as you ive cut off part of them but I need to get in there and finish those suckers off. Im running 33" Baja Claws , trimmed and folded front and rear with no flares. I think 33"s are the perfect size for the lift height because I cut my fenders alot and I still flexed the front tire into the flare and bent it up , so a 35" woulda done alot worse. Im about ready to grab the sawzall and go a little crazy , I took my time when I originally trimmed them and I sanded them down and then primerd them and then sprayed on the spray on bedliner in a can stuff because the claws grab rocks and chip the primer so with this bedliner stuff its tough and wont chip. I think I might go take some flex shots today so if I do that i'll send yah the pictures whats your email.

Hi fellow FT lifters. I have that as well on my 99. What are you guys doing for skids since the mounting points are not available, or at least I don't think they are at least for normal Skid Row skids, etc.
I haven't cut off my lca mount yet. Will my angle grinder do it? It worked pretty good on my fenders. I am running 35"s. I've only wheeled it hard once in Rockport.

welcome to the FT cult hahah i am just wondering how much you trimmed in the front because i am runnin 33' swampers and i can't touch my fender and i want to run 35's it is not just about cutting u also have to bang back the inner fender as well

I trimmed as far as I could up to that fold. After some hard wheeling in Rockport, the passenger side wheel well sliced some of the lugs on my 35"MTR. But the other side was fine. I cut and sanded some material in the wheel well but haven't wheeled it since then to determine if it helped. I'm running the bumpstops the kit came with and it looks like it may not be enough.

bj-666 said:
welcome to the FT cult hahah i am just wondering how much you trimmed in the front because i am runnin 33' swampers and i can't touch my fender and i want to run 35's it is not just about cutting u also have to bang back the inner fender as well

indy post some pics please.

Lol

I hate being a big guy,2dr xj's are slim pickins in Mi and 4dr's i dont fit to well..well getting in and out of!!!!!

Maybe its diet time?Jenny Craig here i come

soup_bowl.jpg

CAmountwslider.jpg

You'll never have better rock sliders than the ones you make yourself :idea:

As for cutting the fenders, trace your fender flares and cut away... For the rear, I just welded in new metal to seal everything off.

indyxj gallery

This may not work, if not just cut and paste to your browser. I don't have a way to host pics yet, but these are already on a website in a gallery.

93Jeepin said:
indy post some pics please.

Lol

I hate being a big guy,2dr xj's are slim pickins in Mi and 4dr's i dont fit to well..well getting in and out of!!!!!

Maybe its diet time?Jenny Craig here i come

well guys last night i got the xj on all for wheels. looks sick. i am sitting on the 4 stock tires and rims so its pretty funny looking. plus i just left the fenders off. and banged the inner fender ring. looks....different. ill try to get some pics up soon

IndyXJ said:
I trimmed as far as I could up to that fold. After some hard wheeling in Rockport, the passenger side wheel well sliced some of the lugs on my 35"MTR. But the other side was fine. I cut and sanded some material in the wheel well but haven't wheeled it since then to determine if it helped. I'm running the bumpstops the kit came with and it looks like it may not be enough.

I have the exact same problem my 33" claws on my passenger side came up and bent the fender up and thats with trimming I had done , so at least we know it flex's well.

As for the skids I know what you mean about the skid row , plate using the lower control arm bracket for a mounting point but either modify it or get a different skid , i think the tomken ones are different and would work ?.

I definetly will be buying 35"s next time I buy tires , I just bought brand new 33" claws which im really happy with and are perfect for the 6" of lift but when I throw on the other 2" in spacers then ill want the 35"s.

And yes cut your lower control arm brackets with a grinder because a sawzall wont work on the passenger side due to the arm being to close.

There are definetly a number of us FT cult members growing , thats awesome.

Any FT members in the state of washington ?

I dont think its needed and it makes it a pain in the ass later if you wanted to take them off for some reason and its kind of asking for cracking and whatnot , if you do it you'd have to know what your doing using the proper setting and welding equipment for welding to those thin frame rails as you cant apply alot of heat to them because you cannot deform them or anything at all.

I welded my track bar bracket and brace that goes under the oil pan after having it come loose multiple times on the Rubicon. I tried using different nuts and bolts (the FT nuts are terrible), but it continued after a few outtings. I haven't any trouble with it since. I've never had any trouble with the control arm mounts.

I've been running this kit for over a year, and I've posted quite a bit of info on it if ya'll search.

Just got my Full Traction Kit installed as well and wondered if anyone considers the kit to be noisey. Going down the road you can hear clunking coming from the control arms. I double checked all the arms and everything is tight and I don't feel any play in any of the joints. I talked to Full-Traction and they said that I am hearing the heim's. Can anyone confirm this?? Or am i missing something?? It's annoying the heck out of me.

Back