• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replace entire brake line?

Jeeper Eric

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

One more question...

My '92 also has a very rusted brake line along the rail to the back brakes.

If I was to replace the line from the front valve to the rear, is their any special things to look out for or do? My concern is the ABS system. I have read that it may take a special tool to reset if system if it drains empty?

Thanks again..

As you mention, the only issue to worry about is letting the ABS system run dry. Just buy the new line, cut, bend and flare it to size, and then work rapidly to install the new line before the master cylinder runs dry.

Check the reservoir often, keep it topped off, and you should be good to go.

I replaced master cylinder and booster on my '96 and had to replace the line from the MC to about half way down the frame rail. Bled them and the ABS still work fine. Just make sure that you use a pipe or something round to make the bends so they don't pinch. Flaring coupler was about .99 cents and works great.

Replace as much of the old line as you can. A couple of years ago the rear line on my '88 popped. The break was about at the post between the front and rear doors. Looked decent from there forward, so I replaced from about a foot forward of the break all the way to the rear axle. Got everything installed, friend came over to push the peddle while I bled the brakes, got all the air out, I'm underneath buttoning things up, friend says "Let me step on the brakes one more time to check for leaks."

POW! Face full of brake fluid. Popped another hole about a foot forward of my union. Had to do the whole job over.

Back