• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 problems should I swap? Please Help

CanadianCool

NAXJA Forum User
Hello
My user name should be CanadianCook but I screwed up. Anyway I have a 92 cherokee with the 4.0 lt,AW4,242, 8 1/4 with 3.55, a 4 inch BDS lift and a Pro Comp tracbar. I'm going to shoot my T-case soon I think, the front end jumps in and out of 4WD part time high and low range. I had a shop pull it a part last year and check it out they said the shift guides were in good shape, it shifts ok and now the damn thing makes a low humming noise in full time on the highway. Any ideas on what the problem could be? I like the full time for winter driving on the highway. Should I buy a new one from dodge? Prices are $1600 for the 242 or $1195 for the 231. I can get a 231 from the wrecker for $500 I'm told this is a direct bolt in other than the rear drive shaft is this true?Is the 231 shorter than the 242? Both cases are big money new from dodge. I know the 242 has more moving parts in it does that make it less reliable? I am planning on regearing to 4.10's that wouldn't make a difference on the t-case right? Any suggetions would be great.
Thanks

Sounds like you just need to get your 242 overhauled... the noise is most likely a bearing, the shifting problem sounds like worn out fork pad or forks, and probbibly a chain as well. have you tried to find a used 242? The 231 is a straight bolt in swap, if thats the route you end up taking. The rear output may be different than the 242, so If you grab a 231 from the junk yard get the rear driveshaft as well for the yoke. best of luck to you.

Scott.

Thank you for the info a used 242 is big money at the wrecker, think i might grab the 231 i found and the rear drive shaft. Is the 242 a crappy t-case there are a lot of posts with problems? Thanks again

I found a 231 for 150 bucks im happy now is there a difference between a yj 231 and a cherokee 231 if both are 23 spline? gotta call the guy back tonight
Thanks again

Back