• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear hatch lock doesn't work

MAXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, my rear hatch doesn't lock and i want to fix it before i put my cd deck or anything in. I haven't torn the hatch apart yet but wondering if anyone has this problem. I am assuming either bad connection or burnt out motor, whats the easiest way to test that?

First things first: Does the key turn in the lock? If it turns does it have any effect? If the lock itself doesn't work, then you need to open it up and figure out what is broken or rusted. It's pretty common for the mechanism to get rusty and need an overhaul and lube.

I'm assuming from your description that you can't hear anything back there when you actuate the lock. If you can, then you know it's mechanical not electrical. If you can't you should probably start by ensuring that the switch is passing current (using test light or meter). Assuming it is, then you'll have to open up the panel and see if it's reaching the hatch. If it is, then the problem is the solenoid. If it isn't, then it's somewhere in the wiring between switch and hatch.

Either way, you'll probably need to take the panel off.

Had the same problem. One of the wires came off the solenoid. Put it back on & crimped it a little tighter & it works fine now. JIM.

i tried putting the key in to turn it but the button just goes in and the hatch pops open. I'd say it is jammed except it doesn't make any noise when trying to do it with the power locks.

I'd tend to agree with ILLXJ. Same thing happened on my ZJ. Just fixed the wires and away we went!

Yeah, i hadn't tried locking it manually since i got my new keys made (every old one was bent, same key, just bent) and i can lock it manually fine. So i am assuming its wires, but it isnt as urgent now, just an inconvienence.

Back