• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hitch Mounting hardware ?

BskisXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know where I can get these washers,(Reinforcing Plates) for mounting a hitch. They come with some hitches and go inside the frame. The carriage bolts then drop in from above them. I picked up a used Hidden Hitch but don't have the hardware. I have a local hitch place but they say they don't use them anymore.Have also looked online to no avail.

plate.jpg

cbolt.jpg

Go to the dealer and buy the nut strip plates, they hold up better and distribute the weight more evenly.

my hitch came with them - lemme see if my buddy still has them. I didnt use them - so i left them at my buddy's house where i did the install.
ill shoot you a PM if he has them

oh - and a junkyard XJ is a good place to look - pick up the gas tank skid while your there....

I would try to get the strips anyway. I know they do cost a little more, but there MUCH better than the carrage bold setup. The bolt setup is in it's early stages of pulling through on my XJ, and I don't pull a even trailer that much [it is kind of toung heavy though]. Depending on the year you may only need one anyway.

Get them from www.chryslerpartsdirect.com The strips are half the price of the dealer... around $15 I believe.
Part #s are:
Passenger side (52001174)
Drivers side (52001175)

The price may have gone up...I think I read someones post that said they did. But only buy a few bucks. You should still be able to get both of them for the cost of one at the dealer. The bolts that come with the hitch will fit. I got a hidden hitch and all the hardware was the same thread pitch as the nut strips. If not...some grade 5 hardware at your local hardware store wont set you back too much. 6 bolts, 6 washers...
Definetly a better idea to get the strips. Even if you get those bolt plates for free. Ive seen them fail and have had them fail on me...but never the nut strips. Good Luck.

Justin

Last edited:
BskisXJ said:
Was going to try and go a different route? Cheaper mainly.
My local dealers want $35 a piece without bolts.
They should sell for half that. And depending on what year your XJ is, you may already have the one on the passenger side, so you might only need one.

I made my own...I got a used hitch from salvage yard and the wiring too for 25 bucks and went to ACE hardware got a 1 1/2 wide by 1/8 inch thick x 3 foot galvaniced strip and cut it to length and sliped into frame rail marked holes and used right size drill bit and a triangle metal file and squared the holes for carrage bolts and slid it into framerail and the part you got to fight is getting the 2 bolts farthest up the rail to go into hole...Got a magnet with a hole in center...attached it to a long hacksaw blade in a hole at one end...let magnet dangle carage bolt with threads pointing down put into frame rail and drop it down into the hole...It works...Good Luck...

John4wd...

Codhead said:
How many nut/bolts does the factory hitch use on each side?

my draw tite used 3 bolts on each side - using the factory holes...

My factory hitch has 4 mounting points on either side...Looking at back of Jeep on the right side...It has 2 studs towards the front of the Jeep where the exhaust hanger is held and a strip with 2 captive nuts on the last 2 mountion points in the rear...On left side I got 4 carrage bolts...With the before mentioned strip I made...

John4wd...

XJ_ranger said:
my draw tite used 3 bolts on each side - using the factory holes...

I have a Draw Tite hitch also, it has four holes on each side. Does that mean I will only need to use 3. I have lined up my gas skid and my hitch together to see how they will mount. It looks like the skid will use one hole on each side by itself.

I also found a semi-local place that I can get all the hardware for about $10.

BskisXJ said:
Does anyone know where I can get these washers,(Reinforcing Plates) for mounting a hitch. They come with some hitches and go inside the frame. The carriage bolts then drop in from above them. I picked up a used Hidden Hitch but don't have the hardware. I have a local hitch place but they say they don't use them anymore.Have also looked online to no avail.

plate.jpg

cbolt.jpg

That is what i just took out of mine. I had to use a 1" drive,3' long, with a 7/8 socket. Had to break every one of them to get the hitch off. I purchased the nutstrips from http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...&make=17&model=Cherokee&year=2000&catalogid=2 $33.00 for both, including shipping. Delivered by USPS. Had to pay .70 postage.

You get the left and right side nutstrips (a strip of steel, with nuts welded to the top, where your holes are in your framerail). Works great. You will need to go to the hardware store and get 12mmx1.75 bolts. Should need 8 total. Sorry it took so long to respond. DC

Totally lucked out, I went to the hitch place today and got lucky. Went there expecting to pay about $10-$15, the guy says look in the bin and take what you need. I walked away with enough hardware to mount two hitches, and didn't pay a dime.

Back