• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny wont shift till 5000

waggy

NAXJA Forum User
my tranny wont shift till 5000 rpm. and it wont go into overdrive. it has the asian tranny .if anyone has had this problem before i could use some help. its a 89 wagoneer limited

Sounds like a classic TPS problem. (Throttle position sensor) It's a sensor on the throttle body that senses how far open your throttle is. It's input is used by the computer to tell the tranny when to shift.

Incorrect/no reading = funky shifting.

IIRC, the TPS is adjustable on early models.

The first thing I would check is the TV cable at the throttle body. To reset it back to factory, push the lock tab down, open the throttle all the way while holding in the tab, release the tab, then release the throttle lever. Do this without the vehicle running. here is a pic of what it looks like this is a 2000 so yours might look just a little different, but the prosess is the same

DownloadedPicsFromCard207.jpg
DownloadedPicsFromCard205.jpg

thanks guys , i reset the linkage ..nothing ,and the tps i dident even think of , duhh.. ill have to check it out tomorrow thanks

As far as I know, on the AW4, the TV cable is pretty much just used to control line pressure in the tranny and doesn't have much at all to do with shifting points; most all that stuff is controlled electronically.

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me, but I think that's how it goes...

Back