• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE bearing

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody ever had the output bearing on their SYE go bad and cause vibrations? I hit my driveshaft off-roading and drove it that way for several months even though it had vibes above about 65mph after hitting it. I finally paid to have the driveshaft rebuilt/rebalanced and I still have vibes. I can detect just the slightest up and down movement in the TC yoke if I move it by hand with the driveshaft installed and I'm thinking it might be the bearing.

By the way, I already had the tires balanced and removed the front driveshaft to make sure that wasn't causing the vibration. The vibration feels like drivetrain and not tires, but I don't know how to describe it better than that. The yoke on my rear 8.25 still feels tight. I have a 3.5" lift with an SYE and a CV joint on the driveshaft. The pinion on the rear axle is pointed 1* below the TC output and I didn't have any vibes before I hit my driveshaft before. Any other ideas or anybody had this happen to them?

Sounds like you've got it figured out - the unbalanced driveshaft can wear out the bearing same as if you were using a stock shaft and got vibes.

youk straps tight? rear pinion tight?
other than that xfer case out put bearing would be my suspect

I'll double-check the torque on the nut before replacing the bearing. Anyone know how tight it's supposed to be? I don't have the documentation anymore.

Last edited:
Back