• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Freeze Plugs

BIGPUNthug

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody know how much a shop would charge to replace the freeze (core) plugs on a 92 Jeep Cherokee??? Just wondering cause I might not have the time to pull the motor and change them myself.

No idea, why pull the engine unless you plan on doing the one in the back of the block. Use brass if you do it.

If you look on almost any water cooled engine you will see half dollar sized plugs in the block at various locations. They serve two purposes, one they allow the casting of the block so you can get the sand out after it's made and they provide a safety margin somewhat in the event of the coolant freezing, coolant expands, freeze plugs pop out and relieve the pressure, on the 4.0 you will find them under the exhaust headers and there is one on the back of the block where you can't see it as it is covered by the bell housing. Go to a parts store and ask where the freeze plugs are, then you will know what they look like, they come in brass and steel, the brass is less apt to rot out from rust. Thats the short version, someone will chime in on some other facts I'm sure :D

Back