• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

84 Xj?

ILLXJ

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Looking at a 84 XJ with the 2.8 V6 with a 5 speed. What I need to know is what trans. and x-fer case this has in it. I know what people say about the 2.8, but I will have 1 & 1/2 years to get it ready, so a engine swap is not out of the question. Thanks for any and all info. Jim

I think the t-case is a np208 but don't hold me to it. Not sure about the tranny.

Transmission for an '84 could be either an AX-5 or a T-5. I think the transfer case is a 207, but I sometimes get dyslexic on all those numbers. It's the one that looks and operates similar to the 231 but low range is 2.6x:1 rather than 2.72:1

Be careful on getting an '84 for building.

Despite the XJ's long production life and the virtually-unchanged suspension, I understand there were some early 'teething' problems with the front suspension.
I don't know what the difference(s) were, but I was told by AZ 4WD that *some* aftermarket lift kits don't list the earliest months of XJ production because something isn't interchangeable.

Anybody have any more info on this 'rumor'?

The vehicle title might have month/year of manufacture on it; the VIN could certainly be used to track down that info.
Check with one of the lift fabrication companies to see if they have any advice or caution.

Better safe than sorry.
-Rick

PS: An '84 in your homestate of IL is an invitation for floor pan rusting, particularly under the front carpet below the A-pillars. Take a look.

I have an 84. It is said that the 84 and early xj's had either a AX-5 or T-5. i have not seen a T-5 in an XJ yet but I believe Eagle has. The T/C will be a NP 207. Looks jsut like a 231 with a different low range. My lift went on fine I have never heard that about the 84. However, some of them have cv booted front axle shafts. I believe these to be even weaker than the 260 u-jointed shafts. I have them on my 84 but have not broke them yet. As for the 2.8, I'd rather have the 2.5! It is much more reliable and uses the same tranny bolt patern so any engine swap like the 3.1 or 3.4 can go in it too. Here is a link to my page with lots of pictures of my 84 and the work I have done on it!

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=40672&ck

Good luck and have fun! Oh yea don't pay too much for it. Mine was had for 750 and I think I paid 250 too much. JMHO!

Ghost is correct. I forgot to mention the CV joints. The early ones also used a true CV joint (not a double cardan joint) on the front drive shaft. MUCH weaker than the double cardan, and doesn't handle as much lift. Ghost has a write-up on replacing this with a "real" drive shaft.

Oops!!!!!

Yes but I was refering to the Axle shafts! I forgot about the front DS! And to think I had to fix that problem too! LOL!

527856CVaxleshafts.JPG

Im just waiting for these things to explode! Should be fun! I have a set of 297's ready to go too.

Thanks for all the info. I will be looking at it again this weekend. This will not be an all out trail rig. It will be a driver for my oldest boy, who will turn 16 in about 1 & 1/2 yrs. Anything I get for him will get a BB max. But I do want something a little older so maybe he can learn something working on it. Thanks again.

I have an 1984 Chief, with the T-5 so yes, they did use that transmission. Mine is a 2.5 lt though. To find out what trans you have, check on the left (driver) side of the box, if I remember correctly, mine says Borg Warner.

Transfer case is indeed 207, and it did have a CV driveshaft. However, I am not sure it has those axle shafts as in the picture. I'll have to check that out.

Rgds

I think that the CV front axle was most commonly found with the early XJs that had the vacuum actuated Select Trac 4x4 system, most commonly found in the Wagoneers; allowing for smoother operation when in full time 4wd mode. I do not have experience with this setup, but WJs use CV joints and they dont seem to have any probelms, so if it aint broken dont fix it IMHO. The NP207 is the Command Trac t-case which is mated to the AX-5 when coupled to the 2.8V6.

XJguy

Well, indeed, my Chief does not have the axleshafts shown, the joints are open.

As for the CV driveshaft, don't count on it for lifts greater than 2".

Rgds

Back