• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cruisin down freeway... Shuts down??

Chippo

NAXJA Member #1233
In need of quick help on possible cures... Will do searches later. Cuisin down the freeway on a return 5 hr trip home today and the 92 XJ just shuts off. Pull off the freeway and it will turn over but no signs of life. Check fuses and as much wiring as possible and it will not lite. In XJ is parked at the stealership with instructs to fix if they can do it for under $200. I need some ideas as what could be wrong to fix myself if over that amount. Anyone got any ideas to start with?
Thanks in advance....

you also might want to make sure the relays are good . or just replace them .i've had it happen to me while wheeling.there is a relay that controls the fuel pump and another that controls the ignition i believe.the one for the Air is the same one so you might want to flip it into the other two spots to see if it starts.this is how i got off the trail the last time.my fuel pump one went i just flipped it with the AC relay to get going again till i could get totthe store for a new one .

You could also have a coil that has gone south on you. It has happened to me. But check that you hear the fuel pump coming on when you turn the key to the "on" position before trouble shooting the ignition system. Could be a bad relay .

Re: Cruisin freeway... Shuts down?? Updated- Help??

Interesting and painful day. Get call from Stealership and they tell me it needs a crank sensor. They don't have one and I go get one aftermarket and delivery 30 miles away. Deliver and go get lunch and come back with them sayin the cap & rotor were destroyed and would also need ignition coil with ignition module, due to high current running thru everything. Still won't run and they claim that the cam mech under distributor could be wiped out. They want $252 plus 1 hr @ 85 to replace dist. Went to Napa to buy remanf'd dist @$70 and they will sent it to dealership tomorrow for replacement. So far we are at $285 out of pocket and 1 hr on top of that and they cannot guarantee that they can fix it. I hate this parts changing out like this. At this point if the dist won't work I have to really consider towing it at another $150 to my place so that I can do the parts changing.
It has very good spark and good fuel pressure, so I'm goin to cross my fingers that this does the trick. I still have this feeling this dist won't fix the XJ.
Any ideas????
Thanks

The odds of having both the cps and the cam position sensor failing at the same time are pretty long. The CPS is the more common. Sounds like they just shotguned the CPS and then found it didn't fix the problem. Both will yield the exact same symptoms.

I seen the cap & rotor in their ugly state. The tip on the rotor was ripped off and the contacts on cap were as nasty as I have ever seen. The cap and rotor were less than 6 monthes old. The parts changing is killing me! I really would like to have the XJ here at home to do the parts changing. I really have a bad feeling about this dist. change out. The dealer claims that the dist cam mech could have been damaged and is not sending the proper signal to the ignition or computer. I just wished or hoped that the Stealership were more trained in diagnosing this type of problem than me @ $85/hr. If only I had this XJ in my yard.....

Well just my 2 cents i had that problem with my 87 comanche i had(4.0) and it was the crank sensor that went bad not sure if this helps,but thought i would put in some input.

Re: Cruisin freeway... Shuts down?? Updated- Help??

Chippo said:
Interesting and painful day. Get call from Stealership and they tell me it needs a crank sensor. They don't have one and I go get one aftermarket and delivery 30 miles away. Deliver and go get lunch and come back with them sayin the cap & rotor were destroyed and would also need ignition coil with ignition module, due to high current running thru everything. Still won't run and they claim that the cam mech under distributor could be wiped out. They want $252 plus 1 hr @ 85 to replace dist. Went to Napa to buy remanf'd dist @$70 and they will sent it to dealership tomorrow for replacement. So far we are at $285 out of pocket and 1 hr on top of that and they cannot guarantee that they can fix it. I hate this parts changing out like this. At this point if the dist won't work I have to really consider towing it at another $150 to my place so that I can do the parts changing.
It has very good spark and good fuel pressure, so I'm goin to cross my fingers that this does the trick. I still have this feeling this dist won't fix the XJ.
Any ideas????
Thanks

I'm highly suspicious that the STEALERSHIP is really trying to rob you blind here. The chance of the CPS, cam position sensor, coil/ignition module, cap, & rotor all needing replacement at the same time is less than one in a million.
I'm willing to bet that they'll tell you all these parts still haven't fixed the problem (they'll be lying of course), and the next thing they'll tell you is that you need a new fuel pump. Let's see if I'm right.

Well just a quick reply on the repairs and fix for our XJ. The remnf'd dist was the cure. The cap and rotor when destroyed and took out part of the cam position sensor. Dealer tells me he could have charged me for up to 5 hrs labor, but only charges me for 3 hrs, boy I feel grateful.... for a total of $365 with me buying the crank position sensor and dist aftermarket myself. He also tells me that he won't warranty the aftermartket parts and I think.. go f... yourself. I gave the Service Manager 15 minutes of my feelings of his skilled professionals part changing skills. Stealership definitely fits and they are proud of it!! Hopefully it will be a long time coming b-4 another trip to these boys!!

First of all, a Jeep dealer should definately have IN STOCK a CPS to fit any year Cherokee. It's a common replacement item. I know ... it ultimately wasn't the problem, but the fact that they didn't have it is a sure sign that they have no clue what they're doing.

I think you should log onto the Jeep web site, get the 800 phone number for customer service, and call DaimlerChrysler to complain. Then floow up with a letter (be sure to mention that the letter is a follow-up) detailing exactly what you told us here.

You were treated badly, and ripped off. Chrysler needs to know about this. Dunno about your state, but in my state I can also report an unqualified shop like this to the agency that licenses repair shops (in CT it's the DMV) and let the state go after them.

Chippo said:
Hopefully it will be a long time coming b-4 another trip to these boys!!

Next time you have a problem, post it here before you go to the STEALERSHIP. maybe we can help you solve it and save you a lot of money. Hopefully you'll never need to go to the stealership again except to buy parts. If you think about going to the service department again, remember to take a tube of KY Jelly with you (the reason will be obvious). ;)

Does your rig have an alarm with a valet mode???? I have seen them go into valet mode and make the rig not run over 20 mph. Dont know but it might be a place to look. Also in California the dept of Consumer affairs I think are the folks to start the process of a complaint.

Thanks for the help guys! We were on a long road time home 30 miles away when she broke. My insurance covers the first 5 miles and then I pay $6/mile. We were within 5 miles from the Stealership so I was a wishin for a quick fix to our DD.
I will give Jeep Customer Service a call today to try to voice my opinion on this matter. I'm glad to have it back in my driveway, but at 5 bills it still makes me pucker....

Back