• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Trax No Slip

Xtreme XJ

NAXJA Member #1138
NAXJA Member
Hey guys
I've been told that the NO SLIP isn't availible for my 8.25 with 29 splines.... It is in a 96 so there may be some mix up there but theXJ is a late 96 with 29 splines. I also thought I saw awhile back where they were bought or had shut down... any info.
I want a true locker as oppose to a limited slip...any others besides Detroit or a Lock Right?
Thanks....
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

I was told by the people at Rocky Road Outfitters that one was available for the 29 spline. I know some people on here have had some issues with them lately but I have always had goodluck.

I just ordered one from RockyRoad. Powertrax make them for both a standard carrier and a Trackloc carrier for the 29-spline. Mine is a Trackloc. I just looked on the UPS tracking site, and I'll be busy this weekend!:clap:

i just put mine in yesterday

No Slip Locker

Got a 29 spline for my '99 through Rocky Road Outfitters. Blew the first one up in a day, but sent it in to Richmond Gear(the new oweners of PowerTrax) and got a replacement. Mind you they were not the fastest at sending the new unit. New unit works great and you can install it in less than an hour.

Suggestion: Assemble unit out of vehicle first and mark on outside to make sure alignment is correct on sychro gears. Really easy to do and when you see the install instructions you will know what I am saying.

Blew it up how? Installation error or defective part?

I really want one of these, I don't want to go with a locker in the rear... but now I'm skeptical. I've heard only good things about these units until this thread...

Thanx!

I have had a No-Slip in my 1999 29-spline 8.25 for over two years now. I must, therefore, call SPOBI. BTW, its a great locker and pretty easy to install. I have had zero issues with it.

SPOBI??

Well dang just trying to share my information and I get the SPOBI call? Pretty lame.
According to the returns dept. at Richmond they said it looked as if the sychro ring "frooze up". They did replace it and if you read my other post I am very satisfied with it so why would I knock it. Other peoples good experience with the locker is what made me buy it.
Go for it but mark it as I said above to make it easier or call it SPOBI and ignore what I thought was helpful advice.

I've been looking at the powertrax for a few weeks now. One of the things that I am curious about is its road manners. I do most of my driving on road, how does it handel? Am I gonna be burning through tires like crazy. The other thing is that I drive in snow several times a year. How does it handel in snow. I don't imagin that it would be as nice as an open diff on icy roads, but is it as bad as a full locker? Thanks for any info.

Karlm said:
I've been looking at the powertrax for a few weeks now. One of the things that I am curious about is its road manners. I do most of my driving on road, how does it handel? Am I gonna be burning through tires like crazy. The other thing is that I drive in snow several times a year. How does it handel in snow. I don't imagin that it would be as nice as an open diff on icy roads, but is it as bad as a full locker? Thanks for any info.
The Powertrax IS a full locker, with all the quirks associated with lockers in snow. You sure don't want to be heavy-footed in bad weather, and it takes some practice, but it IS tolerable.

i am :dunce: but what is SPOBI.

I can't speak to its snow handling capabilities, but from what I've gathered in other threads here the road handling is excellent -- in fact that is why I would choose it over a Detroit or LockRight.

Those lockers cause racheting on the pavement and tire chirp during turns (which is indicitave of stress on lots of stuff) .. the no-slip, from what I understand, relieves that stress by using an approach similar to posi-trac. No ratcheting and the tires can turn at different speeds up to a point.

I'm no expert about all of this and don't profess to understand the mechanics, but that's the gist of what I've gleaned here.

My rig is a daily driver and I want good road manners and I need the rear end to lock up when its supposed to on the trail, so this seems to be an ideal solution, for me at least. The front is a different story altogether <g!>.

hth...

Road Manners

Have not had it in the snow yet, but as for the street it has excellent handling and is almost totally unnoticable. I was noticing minor tire scruff today but that is probably due to the trails I have been running lately as I have huge chunks of rubber missing as well. Makes a HUGE difference on the trail!!

Hey All!!
Thanks for the info. & help.. I too had heard of possible problems
I think Danno..? had a problem. I want a locker not a limited slip so the Power Trax being a drop in & not a full case locker was appealing. I love a Detroit but more $$$ & the need to have a shop set it up & not wanting to put too much $$$ in the 8.25 is why I am going with the Power Trax... By the way I got one on the way from Randy's R.&P.
Thanks again to all......
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Re: No Slip Locker

Xjman1 said:
Got a 29 spline for my '99 through Rocky Road Outfitters. Blew the first one up in a day, but sent it in to Richmond Gear(the new oweners of PowerTrax) and got a replacement. Mind you they were not the fastest at sending the new unit. New unit works great and you can install it in less than an hour.

Suggestion: Assemble unit out of vehicle first and mark on outside to make sure alignment is correct on sychro gears. Really easy to do and when you see the install instructions you will know what I am saying.

Same thing happend to me,... I think I had the active spacer misaligned.

Buy the No-Slip immediately and don't look back. I've had one in my 29 spline 8.25 daily driver for over a year now and LOVE it. I'm no 10 miles a day driver, either. My job covers 86 counties in Illinois - so I get around in all kinds of weather. You'll want to take it easy the first few times you're on snow or ice until you get the feel for it, but it's not difficult at all - just full up on the t-case lever and off you go! I've noticed no difference whatsoever in rear tire wear, either. The unit unlocks easily and lets the tires turn at different speeds around corners. Plus, when you get offroad, you won't believe the improvement in traction. Do it.

I have had one for a couple of months...makes all the difference in the world in the mud...on the road...pretty good manners...if you are under power in a tight turn it will spin the inside tire..the trick is to lift on the throttle when turning tight...it is nowhere near as clunky and noisy as the detroit locker i used to run in my old street car...I am glad i bought it...so far a fine product..:)

Back