• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Tires???

lostcreek21

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. I've been looking at tires for a while now. I'm looking at the BFG MT's, Goodyear MTR's, or the TrXus. I haven't ever seen the TrXus in my area (near portland oregon) but I like them. I need a tire that will last long and give me good offroad abilities since this is my daily driver. I have 4.5" of lift and I'm looking at 31's. thanks for any info...

I am running mickey Ts baja MTX. I do not like them. It is my every day car to and they have not lasted. Try looking at the bridgestone line . The mud tire looks to get great scores

Not sure about the TrXus but a friends LTB's are wearing quick. A tire guy told me a lot of the SS wear quick and to avoid them for a DD. Just thought I would pass that info on. That is why I went with the Coopers STT. That and price.

I'm running the Trxus, and I have had BFG MT, the Trxus are better in the mud from what I can tell. At highway speeds, they are very quiet, and that's why I get them because I do a lot of highway driving. There is a slight hum at about 40, but it's not that bad.
It seems as though after 10k the tread wear is fantastic. I'll purchase another set after these.

I run AT's and find they are the best all around tire. I know I know ...we all have opinions here....but I run a lot in the sand (Oregon has lots of sand?) and there is no better tire aired down for the sand....
Just another opinion (I run 32s with a RE 4.5 lift)

I agree on the interco for DD'ers. Alot of people have told me that their tires have worn one heck of alot quicker than expected. We have alot of commuters here that commute to NJ and NYC, about 100mi one way or 200mi a day.
I bought BFG AT KO's and have been keeping an eye on them, wear at 10K was not measureable, they work fine for me off road, the only grumble I have about them is that they are not as good on wet roads as my pirelli scorpion AT's were. I did have to get a new one, picked up a nail in the sidewall so the tire was totaled but I bought them at BJ's Wholesale and they came with roadhazard.
So far I am pleased with them even though I swore I would never buy aother BFG product again. Next time though I want to get a set of GY MT's but they will be mounted on spare wheels for weekends.
One comment on milage, I feel that if a tire does not last AT LEAST 50,000mi it is a waste of money unless for special application, but for daily driving 50K is my minimum.

It has been said, and is being said more and more, that the MT/R's are the best all around off road tire that you can buy. They work great in most off road conditions, and are very good in the rest, and have a very cut resistant sidewall. They have good on road manners and wear decently. I have run BFG MT's and SSR's and the MT/R's are definitely a better tire than either of those.

The MT/R's have proven to be a superior tire in the rocks, nearly everyone in CA runs them. We go on runs where every rig has MT/R's.....except the out of state guys. :) There was a mud tire test in one of the 4x4 mags awhile back, I think it was 4Wheel and Off Road. The best tire in the mud was the Boggers, guess what the number two tire was? Yep, the MT/R's. They were very close to the SSR's which were third, and beat out the TSL's, and the BFG's, Yokahama's, and others were down the list. They said the MT/R's gave a very good shot out of the hole, probably the same thing that makes them such a good rock tire.....lots of edges.

There are plenty of good tires out there, but you would not be disappointed if you went with the MT/R's.

No one running ProComps? I have a set of MT's for my XJ and YJ (31's for the XJ and 33's for the YJ) I've been very pleased with them as far as wear and lugs don't get loaded up with mud. My two neighbors run the AT line on their trucks and have been extremely pleased with their performance (they stay on the road for the most part) My only grip with them is that the MT's are very stiff when aired up so it can be a bumpy ride and of course noisey ride. The AT's are really quite and ride well though. I plan a on set for the wife's ZJ as soon as the Bridgestone's on it give up.

Procomps!!!

I love my procomp xterrains. They are nowhere near as loud on the road as bfg's or mtr's. They have a great price( buy 3 get 1 free)and you can get 1 Heck of a warranty with them.

I ran TrXus until recently and they were GREAT. Ran them in Muck, rock they entire Gamut. You won't find a better tire in the snow.

I now have TSL Bias Plys and on road they suck (der LOL!) but I have some AT KO's for the street now...

The TrXus is a Killer tire for on and off road and they wear super...NOT like the standard interco's.

I am very pleased with with my Cooper Discoverer M/T's... wear has been good...they are a little noisy on the highway...but hands down the best M/T's I have had besides Boggers...

I agree you won't go wrong with MT/R's. I choose trXus in 34x12.5 size over the MT/R just to be different and because I wanted excellent snow performance in all conditions living in Colorado. Man am I happy. They are as quiet and ride better than the BFG AT ko's they replaced. They are unbelievable in the snow. I have never had a better tire in the snow, and this includes both packed road snow and deep snow. I like 'em offroad, and they are wearing very well. It's my guess that Interco came up with the tread design and had somebody else make the tires...they seem to me to be top notch quality after having driven BFG's for the last few years).

Where I would choose between trXus and MT/R is how much rock crawling vs. road snow you deal with (and also how much you like to be different since everybody and their mother has MT/R's now). The trXus are factory siped - probably a liability for non-stop rock crawling in terms of tread durability, but this tread design with siping is just awesome in snow.

I consider the trXus to be the first true "all terrain" tire I have ever run. It just seems to work very well in every condition from rain to snow to slick rock to granite. It probably isn't the very best in any of those conditions, but yet is good in all of them. Compared to the BFG AT ko, they are better in packed snow, far better in deep snow, and give up nothing to those tires onroad. Considering the good wear so far, I will buy another set of these babies.

Nay

look at Dayton Timberline, i have a set of 30X9.50 M/Ts and i like them very much.

Back