• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crappa from Napa

XJ-NUG

NAXJA Forum User
Just got a nice spankin' new front output shaft seal (NP231) from Napa that doesn't seem to fit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the shaft seal is supposed to fit tightly into the cup and not need RTV to hold it in??? The one that came off fit so tight, I had to use a puller (and a screwdriver and a lot of cursing) to get it off. I used to have a small leak but now I'm slinging goo everywhere. Am I missing something here or did I just get shafted at the drive-thru again? Oh yeah, there was no washer behind the yoke nut. Not sure if there is supposed to be one. Any Ideas??

Thanks,
Dave

97 Cherokee Country 4.0, NP231, 70Kmiles

Sounds like the wrong part to me...the seal should not be that loose...and should require some force upon installation, which is why the old one came out the way it did.

I don't believe there is a washer behind the yoke...if I remember correctly it's just the seal, then the yoke and nut.

Matt

XJ-NUG said:
Oh yeah, there was no washer behind the yoke nut.

When you put it all back together put a thick bead of RTV inside the yoke before putting the nut back on... Of course you're going to leak from there, the nut isn't a tight seal for the yoke/shaft! When you put a seal in, put a thin seal of RTV around it, too, before pressing it in. If it's loose and doesn't press in, you likely got the wrong one or something is wrong with the housing. ;)

Thanks for the info. Figured on a wrong part. It was identical to the old one, just a hair smaller so it fit a little loose. Couldn't tell by looking at it in the store. Housing looks good and the old seal appeared to be the original. May have been a manufacturing fluke or something. Well, I'm going back to Napa to get a new seal and try to keep my cool.

Thanks,
Dave

What part number did they give you? Also post up what you came away with if that's different.

the nut that retains the yoke should be a flanged nut, no need for a washer. However, there is supposed to be a rubber star washer to seal the splines under the nut. RTV works, but I've never had a problem when using the spline seal washer if its installed properly.

Good grief. Turns out that the one they gave me for the front was a rear output shaft seal. I came away today with what all the folks at the parts counter swore was a front output shaft seal. Turned out to be a transmission output shaft seal. Yes, it looks totally different (i.e. no lip and not as much rubber) but these guys swore it was a direct replacement. I referenced the part numbers online and found out what they were. I even came away with a pinion seal that these guys labeled as a rear output shaft seal.

Anyway, I ordered one through Advance. I haven't had any problems with them in the last few years. If all else fails, there's the dealer.

There was RTV Black on the spline when I pulled the Yoke off.

I'm a bit frustrated, but I think I'll recover.
Thanks

XJ-NUG said:
If all else fails, there's the dealer.

My local one is good on pricing for seals, etc. When they look up the parts it's with that helpful diagram, so it's perfect for pinpointing the exact part. :)

Everything's cool now. I put in a new seal from Advance. Only took an hour from start to finish and it fit just fine. I'm still a little bent with Napa. I think it was just a communication problem: I tell them what I want and they give me something else = bad comms. Oh well, I'll get over it. At least I'm not marking my territory anymore.

Thanks for all the insight.

Back