• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny still making noise

xjrockrawler21

NAXJA Forum User
i finally got my AX-15 back in. I put a new centerforce stage 1 pressure plate, and disc. Along with a new pilot bearing and release bearing. All the noises are gone except when i am going down the road and give it a lot of gas. I also have noticed that it is harder to shift. esp. into 2nd, and 3rd. I have only put about 250 miles on it so far, and Centerforce said to allow 500 miles to break in. is this just the clutch or what???????

bleed the hydraulic clutch system?

change tranny fluid while you were in there?

also might look into the synchros- most of the time hard shifting comes from worn synchros (at least in my expierence with maunals)

Can you adjust the clutch and how it releases on the pedal. The clutch engages and desengages at the top of the pedal. there doesn't seem to be that 1/2" play before the clutch engages. I dont know if it is the clutch but theres not a lot play, it seems to be engaged or not. no slip or play

What is the noise your getting and what makes you think it's coming from the trans.? Was there any work done internally on the trans. or just a new clutch? Internal slave? Did you bleed it thoroughly? If the clutch is not disengaging until the end of the pedal travel, shifting will be difficult.

There was no internal work done to the trans. Just a new clutch. it has a external slave. And the noise it is making......for example...going down the road in 4th gear at about 2000 rpm, if i give it 3/4 throttle it makes the noise. it sounds like your starting from 2nd gear from a dead start, like a lugging noise???

Sounds like something is grounding out against the body. Under load, the drivetrain can move around quite a bit. I've seen many times the exhaust just ahead of the converter rubbing on the crossmember. Usually its due to a trans mount that is sagged letting everything hang a little lower in the chassis.

Back