• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

After market steering wheel swap ???s

planefixer

NAXJA Forum User
I want to swap my aftermarket steering wheel from my wrecked '90 into my '97.The '97 has an airbag steering wheel.Is this swap possible?I did a search and found plenty of info on disabling the air bag but nothing on swapping an aftermarket wheel on.Just want to know if it can be done,does it use a standard type of installation kit(its a Grant steering wheel) or is it too mutch of a PITA to even bother with it?Any help would be greatly appreciated.

planefixer said:
I want to swap my aftermarket steering wheel from my wrecked '90 into my '97.The '97 has an airbag steering wheel.Is this swap possible?I did a search and found plenty of info on disabling the air bag but nothing on swapping an aftermarket wheel on.Just want to know if it can be done,does it use a standard type of installation kit(its a Grant steering wheel) or is it too mutch of a PITA to even bother with it?Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I did it, but it was after the airbag had blown in a wreck. I don't know if you could remove it without blowing the airbag, but if you can, I bet you could get good money for it... the insurance company gave me $1300!!!
Billy

Is it still street legal? I blew my airbag recently (and most of the front end) and couldn't believe the price to replace it. I'm not sure it's worth it since when it went it didn't even touch me. I was told that in NH if it was originally in the vehicle you have to have it, but they may also have just wanted me to buy it through them....

nhrocker said:
Is it still street legal? I blew my airbag recently (and most of the front end) and couldn't believe the price to replace it. I'm not sure it's worth it since when it went it didn't even touch me. I was told that in NH if it was originally in the vehicle you have to have it, but they may also have just wanted me to buy it through them....

I didn't hear of such a law in CA. And FWIW, mine never touched me either.
Billy

planefixer said:

You can do it. My Grant could be purchased with a kit that could be used with a 97+. Check with your insurance company. I have heard of people who know people who are related to people that have been screwed out of insurance claims because they had disconnected the airbag. I "guess" the thought process is, you rear-end someone and your insurance company is responsable for your injuires, and they are more severe because you disconnected your airbag. Not that I care, but just something I have "heard" you should worry about.

<disclaimer> This is not my opinion, just things I have heard. Please don't flame the thread with why that sucks and all the "I can do what I want to my own truck"...blah blah...I agree with you, just something I've heard. <disclaimer>

Each state has different laws, and each insurance company has different rules. It would be wise to check your state's motor vehicle code before embarking on this, especially if you have an annual safety inspection.

As to the insurance question, I don't want to advise you as to how to proceed there. You could just call them up and ask them if removing the driver's side airbag would void your coverage -- but you can probably predict what the answer would be. If you buy your insurance through an agent and you have a good relationship with your agent, you could ask what he/she thinks might happen. Keep in mind, however, that an insurance agent is an independent sales agent, not a representative of the company, so if he says he "thinks" it "might slide by," that's not exactly an ironclad guarantee.

JohnJohn said:
You can do it. My Grant could be purchased with a kit that could be used with a 97+.

A) Where? Highly interested in doing this. B) Was the option there for 95/96 as well, since that's when they started putting airbags in? ;)

Thanks for the responses.I think I'll talk to my ins. co. and if its not an issue with them,then I think I'll give it a shot.If there is no mounting bracket available then I'll try modifying an existing Grant bracket with as minnimal impact on bracket strength as possible.If I succeed I'll post a write-up for everyone.If I dont succeed I'll put the Grant wheel on wifey's '91.
Thanks,
Jeff

JohnJohn said:
http://www.grantproducts.com/

I was wrong, or at least that option is not available anymore. Bummer, anyone have a pic of a 95/96 or 97+ without the steering wheel on? Maybe the non-airbag kit(84-94) from Grant would fit?

Only thing I've *ever* seen from Grant is a 'styling ring' that snaps on. Blech.

Wish I could get ahold of a 95+ column to look at disassembled.

Back