• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lift question

stu's jeep's

NAXJA Forum User
ok i am looking to do a 3" BDS lift i have a dana 35 axle, my shop who is going to install it said you will not need a SYE kit and some say you will so will i or wont i :gag: I was thinking is BDS a good lift or what else is good :rattle:

i was at four and used a 1.5 inch t case drop. You will be able to drive it with 3 inches of lift but it will just be annoying. MY advice is first go with the t case drop of 1 inch and see if its still an issue. I run the full packs with the RE 3.5 superride and i love it. Ended up costing about 500 because i got some full packs used after hating my aal but full is really the only way to go. Just have them put the lift on then drive it and see if you can tolerate it until you can get an SYE. No vibration is good for the tcase, but with t cases being as cheap as i have seen them on this forum for a 231 its not even really an issue.

thanks for the reply ..The reason i am going with a lift is due to the cost of replacing my worn rear leafs and my worn front arm's cost makes it cheper to install a lift then going to the dealer for all new leafs and arms and new hardware :lecture:

stu's jeep's said:
thanks for the reply ..The reason i am going with a lift is due to the cost of replacing my worn rear leafs and my worn front arm's cost makes it cheper to install a lift then going to the dealer for all new leafs and arms and new hardware :lecture:
junkyard replacements buddy

SYE may be needed - put the lift on and drive (this is the ONLY way to know)
if you cant hold onto the steering wheel - then you need one.

T-case drop is a bandaid - not the HD - BEST way to fix the problem.

BDS seems to have a good reputation - ive never heard anything bad about them.

yeh if you just want to replace your springs and stuff go to a junk yard. Really cheap

If you go with a lift you will pobably be OK at 3" without a sye. I am at that heitht without one and I don't have vibes. It kinda depends on the vehicle. Some do some don't. I agree with Ranger, you just need to drive it to see.

Stu --

You have a '96. That's the first year of the new (vibration-prone) transfer case output shaft design. You WILL need an SYE. My 2000 with Up Country needs an SYE.

Stu, the vibration problem with the new transfer case output is bad enough that the factory issued a transfer case drop kit for vehicles with Up Country suspension. I refuse to put that in my 2000. I have purchased an SYE and I'll install it when I can afford the new driveshaft to go with it. In the meanwhile I drive that XJ as little as possible.

Dave, the service advisor at Bradshaw Jeep, has (or had -- I think they still have it) a '99 with Up Country for his wife. He put in the factory drop kit, and he said it took out about 80% of the vibrations. The problem is, taking out "most" of the vibrations may reduce it to where most people won't notice it, but the vibration is still chewing up your output shaft bearing and u-joints. Remember, that factory kit took out 80% of the vibes from a 1" lift. You want to lift 3". Yeah, the drop kit may help you somewhat, but I would be irresponsible if I didn't recommend that you start saving for the SYE.

stu's jeep's said:
I just replaced my stock LCA's, and they are taking up space in my garage, and will likely end up in the trash. You interested in them :wave: ? Off an '01 Limited, never off road(before I got it), with 80k on them.

I have a 97 country with 3" rustys spring pack and 1.5" teraflex shackle and spacer plus stock coil isolator, so about 5" total with no sye and NO!!! driveline vibes. Running 31 x 10.50's with wrangler flairs front and rear crazy clearance.

Back