• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

search on ABS

sbxj

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought an '01 Sport. The ABS light on the dash doesn't come on when I start it up. Is it possible my Jeep doesn't have ABS? What's the best way to tell besides slamming on the brakes? Thanks

IIRC no Cherokee after 95 had ABS (acording to Old_Man's definative gearing thread in Mod tech - its a sticky you cant miss it)

XJ_ranger said:
IIRC no Cherokee after 95 had ABS (acording to Old_Man's definative gearing thread in Mod tech - its a sticky you cant miss it)

Not true - my '01 Sport had ABS.

Two ways of checking: if the rear axle is the Chrysler 8.25", you don't have ABS. If you have the Dana 35, you likely do.

Option two is to take the VIN to your local Jeep dealer and have their service department retrieve the build sheet (AKA 'VIP Summary Report') for your vehicle.

I checked for the fuses in the ABS slot under hood..none to be found. Also have the flat bottom rear end...looks like the 8.25? what's the difference? why doesn't it accomodate ABS? Thanks
also notice no grease zerks on the driveshaft...when did this happen?

Last edited:
sbxj said:
I checked for the fuses in the ABS slot under hood..none to be found. Also have the flat bottom rear end...looks like the 8.25? what's the difference? why doesn't it accomodate ABS? Thanks
also notice no grease zerks on the driveshaft...when did this happen?

There is no reason for them,the shaft has no moving parts(solid).You also have non-greasable u-joints.
The front shaft has a fitting for the slip-splines but thats all.
The 8.25 design has been around since the 60s and I guess they didn,t want to re-engineer the axle for ABS,however late model Dakota pickups with the 8.25 have the ABS option. ?
Wayne

You have the 29 spline version which is comparable in strength to a Dana 44 so yes its pretty stout.

I had the same question recently when I found the relay missing in my box... I have the 8.25 non abs and wondered what it would take to put abs on it?

I now realize first is the rearend out of a Dakota! what is needed for the next steps?

I assume an abs pump and what about the front axles? Then how do I integrate it all into the harness - is it just a matter of a relay and fuse?

I would think that since I have the spaces for them in the place under the hood that it is wired on the harness.

Thoughts anyone???

thanks.

My car is a Cherokee Sport ´98 and I have the same problem:
The ABS light is not working.
I checked the fuses, the connectors, the relay and the lamp.
Everything is alright.
What can be the problem?
I need a ABS ELCTRICAL SCHEMATICS to find out the cable that send the ground to the lamp.
Can U help me?
Thanks

brakes2.jpg

if you have this big thing sitting next to the master cylinder then you have abs, if you dont hve it you dont have abs..this pic is froom an 2001 sport

I have a 98 SE with ABS. You will have a wire alongside the brake line leading to a sensor pointing to what looks like a gear behind the disc. This will tell you for sure if you have ABS.

Rook

You can't just swap a Dakota ABS 8.25 into an XJ. Problem is the Dakota 8.25 has a single tone ring on the ring gear and a sensor on top of the pumpking. One sensor. The XJ has two ABS sensors. I am trying to make the XJ system work on an XJ 8.25 though.

-Chris

You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned fuses. If the box under the hood has none of the abs fuses or relays (I believe there are three) then you don't have abs. Of course you really only need to do that if you don't know by looking at the master cylinder wether there is a modulator there.

Back